60 1/2? on e bay

This person has a 60 1/2?? on e-Bay. Says stanley on it, but no #'s. Said it's same as a 60 1/2 except for the width.(1 3/4") Looks like a low angle. Wonder what that would be? There is another listing with a 60 1/2? body only, in a lot with 2 other block planes, too. Tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Anthony Diodati

I've found the 60 1/2 ebay planes to be over-priced and in one case, defective. I recommend a Veritus apron plane or block plane. It won't cost that much more and your Grandkids will have it someday. :-) I've bought several handplanes on ebay and have had good luck, but the low angle block planes are another story.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Yea, it's a gamble on e bay. I got a 4 1/2 on e bay a while back, when I got it there was about a 1/4" crack running up the sole from the mouth. seller said he did not see it,and would return the selling price only. Rather than "eat" the shipping both ways, I thought I'd just live with it. So a few month's later, I start tuning it, and took some 600 grit wet to the sides, and exposed a big old crack on the side, and moved it ever so slightly with a screw driver, and BAM, it broke right out.

The reason I was asking about the 60 1/2 is I have a New Stanley, "clone",

60 1/2 body only, that I got at the flea market, for a few bucks, and I need the lever cap, blade, and the rear adjustment assembly for, and If I could get the parts cheap enough, I would go for it.

I was just sort-of curious too about a Stanley low angle that is 1 3/4" wide . Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

So did I, so I sprung for a brand new Veritas low angle block.

I figured an eBay 60 1/2 + a Hock iron = more than the Veritas.

I've had good enough luck with #4's, 5's, etc... that I was able to get decent user planes.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .