Opening corded sacks

Not strictly DIY but I bet someone here knows the answer.

We get bird food delivered in 20 kg paper sacks that are closed by a stitched paper strip - the sort that has one thick brown cord and one thin white cord and a rather simplistic notice saying "To open, hold tape and pull cord".

When I get it right, the string almost falls off, but most of the time I struggle for a few minutes then resort to cutting the whole top off with a pair of scissors. There is clearly a knack to opening these things and I haven't got it.

Which cord should I pull? Does it matter which end I start? Am I supposed to unpick anything to get things started? Etc.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It's chain stitch, rather than the lock stitch on a domestic sewing machine.

Here's how it's made.

you study that, you ought to be able to work out which end you need to attack it from.

Yes

Reply to
Andy Dingley