On Topic! - car port and Building Regulations - nailiong in a tight space.

Guy brought in to repair a knackered fence next door.

Because it is a particular kind of fence - feathered boards nailed through to an arras rail - he needs access from our side to get the nail gun in. Apparently the fence is built by cutting the individual narrow boards to length and nailing through, which prevent a whole run being at least partly constructed before fitting.

There isn't enough space for a big nailer to go in for the top rail. Plenty of access for the bottom rail.

He is claiming that because the car port is "a structure" and within 1 metre of the fence it needs a party wall agreement!

Well, it doesn't need planning (open to the air) and it doesn't (as far as I know) need building regulations approval because it isn't structural so I can't see how it could be considered a party wall.

Sounds absolute bollocks but I though I'd double check.

Anyway:

The gap is about 6"/150 mm which was enough space to fix the plastic which comes half way down (overlapping with the top of the fence) but isn't enough space for a standard nail gun.

Is there such a thing as a right angle nailer? This can't be the only case of restricted access.

One alternative suggested is drilling and screwing.

Again, this doesn't seen impossible with a right angled drill, but it does seem a lot more laborious than nailing.

I've told them that they can remove the plastic sheeting which provides a rain guard to below the top of the current fence as long as they reinstate it and make good any damage. A distinct lack of enthusiasm for that proposal.

Possibly the fence could be built "backwards" with the arras rail to our side and the fence boards to their side, but this is only part of a long run of fencing and there would be a "style break" part way along.

We shall see what develops, but ideally I would like a simple solution which avoids too much hassle.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:00:01 +0000, David wrote: <snip>

<snip>

Done a quick and dirty search and all the nailers seem to need quite a bit of space for the hammer part to drive in the nail.

Right angle drills look a possibility, though.

Frustratingly the listings in Screwfix don't give the crucial dimension which is the depth of the drill head, just the overall length of the body.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I gather Lidl had a cordless angle drill yesterday, I expect they will be gone by the time I get there.

Reply to
newshound

As you are talking about plastic sheeting above fence height, I presume that that side is supported by steel posts or similar and that there are therefore no foundations other than fairly shallow post holes?

If so then, from a chartered building surveyor's website

'What if I want to build next to the boundary, but on my land?

If you build on your land away from the boundary (even by a small amount), you will not need to notify your neighbour. However, if you are forming foundations, you may need serve a notice under Section 6 of the Party Wall Act, if their building is closer than 3m. See also ?Excavating Near Your Neighbour?.'

and

'Can I excavate near my neighbour?

Yes, you have a right to excavate near your neighbour, but you must inform the adjoining owner by serving a notice, known as a Section 6, if you plan to:

Excavate within 3 metres of a neighbouring owner?s building or structure, where that work will go deeper than the neighbour?s foundations.

or

Excavate within 6 metres of a neighbouring owner?s building or structure where that work will cut a line drawn downwards at 45 degrees from the bottom of the neighbour?s foundations.'

Neither of which are likely for a car-port's support posts.

Typically neighbours will have a right to come onto your property to carry out maintenance, but they cannot expect you to remove any structure that is in the way for them.

While cooperation is always best where possible, the problem would appear to be entirely that of your neighbour and their repairer.

Reply to
Steve Walker

he is taling bollox...ignore

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

With only inch clearance it may also be difficult to drive in screws.

With restricted access wouldn't the normal method be to use a different fence building method such as concrete posts with panels that slide in from the top (or whilst building, panels that are installed before a second supporting post is fixed in place but can be slid upwards for subsequent replacement).

If the existing fence is "knackered" how bad is it? Is it at the stage where wooden posts are starting to rot at the ground level?

Reply to
alan_m

Arras rails are thrashed but posts seem OK. Part of the fence has already been replaced.

Reply to
David

After the event I dont think there is any way of enforcement of a non-existent Party Wall Agreement.

Reply to
Robert