Building Regulations Certificate

My daughter is considering a house - it has extensions to 3 sides. I told her she should at least get sight of the Certificate that shows compliance with the current Building regulations. She has asked the Estate Agent and they have said that the vendor's solicitor will not release a copy unless they table a firm offer.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Seems a silly stance to take.

so either:

  1. Walk away, if the vendor/solicitor is being awkward.
  2. make an offer, it's no commitment ('firm offer' is meaningless).
Reply to
Chris French

Agree on both counts - they are being stupid.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Unless the property is in Scotland

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Seems entirely fair not to be producing paperwork left, right and centre before somebody's even offered on the place.

Her offer can always be withdrawn or reduced, right up until exchange of contracts, which is WEEKS away, at the conclusion of all the legals - during which BR and PP paperwork for the extensions will be required.

Reply to
Adrian

/2. make an offer, it's no commitment ('firm offer' is meaningless). /1

This.

Make any offer subject to all paperwork checking out?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK wrote in news:b5964a48-8dab-4a9b-b2ee- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I would have expected a good estate agent (or vendor) to have had copies to hand to aid the sale.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Even there offers can be made conditionally.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I would go further and say if there was the slightest irregularity, it would give the buyer further room for negotiation.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I wouldn't. The EA never even sees them.

The vendor fills in the property information form, including details of any BR/PP-subject work, later in the whole process, and sends it plus paperwork to their solicitor, who send it on to the buyer's solicitor.

Reply to
Adrian

Assuming that the house is worth more than a second hand Renault Clio and that the seller would like to sell the house and not f*ck about then it would it be too much trouble to supply for a copy of the BR and PP documents to a buyer?

Reply to
ARW

Of course it isn't - and they would be, as a matter of course, during the legals - which happen AFTER an offer's been put in and accepted...

Reply to
Adrian

Isn't it the case that if the extensions (or whatever) are more than two years old nothing can be done about Building Regulations compliance?

Reply to
cl

My experience is the EA will maintain copies of any documents that might pass from seller to a prospective buyer, and are happy to produce them if another prospective buyer asks the same question.

That is generally after an offer has been accepted and solicitors appointed, where there has already been a modest liability.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, and after your solicitor has already clocked up a bill.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Unless it's a recent extension, it will not meet the current building regulations.

Reply to
Capitol

It's not an unreasonable request - noone (including the vendor unless they are a pillock) is going to want to waste a lot of time money and a possible chain collapse for one bit of paper that they ought to have to hand and could trivially pass a copy to the agent.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Except as this particular point is important to the buyer, cutting out the middle man and just digging the damn certificate out would seem to be in order...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think the buyer cares that it was inspected and passed the applicable regs (or the vendor even bothered to get a BNA and cert done).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Capitol wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Our concern is that it met the regulations that were current when it was built.

Reply to
DerbyBorn