Building Regulations Certificate

My daughter is considering a house - it has extensions to 3 sides. I told her she should at least get sight of the Certificate that shows compliance with the current Building regulations. She has asked the Estate Agent and they have said that the vendor's solicitor will not release a copy unless they table a firm offer.
Any thoughts?

Seems a silly stance to take.
so either:
1. Walk away, if the vendor/solicitor is being awkward.
2. make an offer, it's no commitment ('firm offer' is meaningless).
--
Chris French

On 09/03/15 19:17, Chris French wrote:

Agree on both counts - they are being stupid.
"Chris French" wrote in message writes

Unless the property is in Scotland
Andrew
On 09/03/2015 19:59, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Even there offers can be made conditionally.
/2. make an offer, it's no commitment ('firm offer' is meaningless). /1
This.
Make any offer subject to all paperwork checking out?
Jim K

I would have expected a good estate agent (or vendor) to have had copies to hand to aid the sale.
On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:04:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

I wouldn't. The EA never even sees them.
The vendor fills in the property information form, including details of any BR/PP-subject work, later in the whole process, and sends it plus paperwork to their solicitor, who send it on to the buyer's solicitor.
On 09/03/2015 20:19, Adrian wrote:

My experience is the EA will maintain copies of any documents that might pass from seller to a prospective buyer, and are happy to produce them if another prospective buyer asks the same question.

That is generally after an offer has been accepted and solicitors appointed, where there has already been a modest liability.
On 09/03/2015 19:17, Chris French wrote:

Agreed.
I would go further and say if there was the slightest irregularity, it would give the buyer further room for negotiation.
On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 18:58:57 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Seems entirely fair not to be producing paperwork left, right and centre before somebody's even offered on the place.
Her offer can always be withdrawn or reduced, right up until exchange of contracts, which is WEEKS away, at the conclusion of all the legals - during which BR and PP paperwork for the extensions will be required.

Assuming that the house is worth more than a second hand Renault Clio and that the seller would like to sell the house and not fuck about then it would it be too much trouble to supply for a copy of the BR and PP documents to a buyer?
--
Adam

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:20:16 +0000, ARW wrote:

Of course it isn't - and they would be, as a matter of course, during the legals - which happen AFTER an offer's been put in and accepted...
On 09/03/2015 20:36, Adrian wrote:

Yes, and after your solicitor has already clocked up a bill.
On 09/03/15 20:36, Adrian wrote:

Except as this particular point is important to the buyer, cutting out the middle man and just digging the damn certificate out would seem to be in order...

Sounds like the seller is hiding something or not wanting to sell.
--
Adam

/Sounds like the seller is hiding something or not wanting to sell./q
Agreed. Tell em to email copies or you'll just move right on. Or if you like the house, retrospective Building Ctrl is possible - at the sellers expense before contracts exchange, of course...
Jim K
JimK wrote:

    Or you do what most purchasers do which is go ahead anyway if you really want it.
   /     Or you do what most purchasers do which is go ahea d anyway if you really want it./q
And live with the consequences of course.... Caveat emptor etc..
Jim K

For Building reg and planning permissions - probably no consequences.
Building regs - the LA has 2 years from completion in which to enforce compliance with the reg.
Planning it's 4 years.
Though it's not clear without going back to look up further what liability a new owner would have anyway.
The thing you do have to be careful of is listed building consent as there is no time limit on which action can be taken over that. I don't think a new owner could be liable for criminal prosecution, but they certainly could be forced to take remedial action re works that were done without consent.
--
Chris French