old tv show

does anybody remember the tv show from the 70's or 80's where an expert did something then the three teams try it ...and make a mess? ....... one week there was bricklaying and the bricklayer used plasticiser and the three teams obviously had none and made a right mess....always remember that ...bit unfair I thought......

Reply to
Manikin of mirth ...

No it was not, and in any case you do not need plasticizer if you get the mix right according to a now deceased friend. Most people make it either runny or like treacle in one case it does not stay where its put and in the other it clumps.

There was a show hosted by John Pertwee called can do no can do that went through several iterations. In the start it was a gambling game for the contestants where certain things could be done or not, but later a different but similar show had tasks given to one family member and everyone had to gamble on the outcome. Neither were exactly riveting viewing. I think ITVwished they had had the generation game but were trying to come up with ideas of a similar nature. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Point of order, Mr Gaff. It's Jon Pertwee, not John. Apart from knowing about The Navy Lark and Doctor Who, I went to school with his nephew and consequently learned to to spell Jon, Roland, Michael and Bill fairly early on in life.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

What about jony ive as his americans call him, rather than Sir Jonathan Ive.

Reply to
whisky-dave

John P is the son of the late Bill P (Air Raid Warden Hodges); the family used to live just down the road from here.

Reply to
charles

Indeeed. Bill was a great friend, Once he had to appear on stage at the Imperial War Museum and insisted that I was responsible for the stage lighting. "Last time I was on that stage, there wss more light on the audience than on the stage." And so began an interesting collaboration. The IWM made me their Honorary Stage Lighting advisor. And some interesting people appeared on that stage. Joanna Lumley, Joy Adamson & Freddy Trueman to name but a few.

Reply to
charles

I'm a "techie", not a "luvvie". Bill & I were friends - that's all. I respected his on-stage abilities. He obviously believed in my back-stahe ones.

Reply to
charles

An interesting account.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

James P would be 68 or 69 if he's still around. Colin Rawley, James and myself would walk home from Nursery Road Primary School down Green Street, Sunbury on Thames. I think his home was down the end of Croysdale Avenue. Anyway, James turned off around there and Colin and I walked on.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yeah that's what they all say ;-)

Oh yeah right your 'back stage activities' I'm sure we've all heard about those in the mail and sun on numrous occasions in the thearte world ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave