Old fuse boxes

For those that are interested here are a few photos

?action=view&current=100_0863.jpg and someone has bypassed a fuse

ARWadsworth

Is that "next inspection due 1920"?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I had one of those cast-iron jobbies in my house when I first moved in 20 years ago:

jgharston

:-)

There was no bonding to either the gas or water.

ARWadsworth

In message , ARWadsworth writes

I replaced all my fuses with nails - haven't had one blow for ages

Reply to
geoff

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I like the way that a fairly modern electronic meter feeds it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

i love these kinds of photo's,

makes me wonder about 50 years from now, when people are looking at pictures of our current set ups, and going 'holy shit, they used pvc housings and those ancient RCBO's and considered it safe!!'

Reply to
Gazz

They'll be reminiscing the 100 year period we had mains electricity supplies, and bemoaning the political impotence in the 21st century that caused the system to go intermittent and finally collapse and cease to operate...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Something like taht, yes.

More likely - as the Saxons regarded Roman houses - they will be scratching their bollocks and saying. "what did them there cities ever do for us anyway?"

A question I am finding it increasingly hard to answer myself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looking at the flimsy plastic my consumer unit is made out of and it's perspex cover that is reluctant to remain shut I already think the old ones were built stronger ;) I wonder how long they will last before the plastic becomes brittle.

Reminds me, I must decide if it is worth getting the leccy board to fix their wiring to the meter. There is about 1cm bare on the live meter tail on the outlet of the meter, which is partially wrapped in insulating tape. Don't want them deciding not to reconnect me due to

*spurious reason*

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

The scariest one I ever came across was in my old school - there was a big = cast-iron cased switch, followed by fuses (in both live and neutral) in a c= st iron box with glass window in the front. As the fuses were pieces of cop= per wire about 2mm diameter, running in an open-fonted trough, I'm not sure= what would have happened to the glass window if they'd ever blown. I also found that if you weren't careful when switching off you could break= the neutral but leave the live connected... Mike

Reply to
docholliday93

The house was built sometime in the 50's.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No. It's 1995.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

JGH

I remember doing some work on a house in the Handsworth district of Sheffield oh back in 1979 and it had one of these fuseboxes. Must admit though, not seen one since. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

They are (were) very common in Intake and Cantley in Doncaster. Both post WWII housing estates. I cannot remember seeing one in Barnsley or Rotherham.

Must me a contractors install. The apprentice ripped out some beautiful steel conduit on the rewire.

It must have taken a week to first fix one single socket per room back in the 50's on a new build:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

>> and someone has bypassed a fuse

>Saw this in France last year...

Things like this are becoming a decorative feature.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Nice.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Intersting generator, line and battery control panel by the looks of it. I take it this one was still live and not yet a decorative feature.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They'll probably start faking them up in China soon.

Owain

Reply to
Owain