Junction box for old lead sheathed cable

For those that are interested

?action=view&current=100_0800.jpghttp://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq6/adamko2020/?action=view&current=100_0802.jpg Found under the floorboards today.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , ARWadsworth writes

Heeey, one in good condition, gas tight seal on the earthing and no possible room for the cables to wiggle, one for ebay (good condition[1]) I think.

[1] inc one new twist-on.
Reply to
fred

En el artículo , ARWadsworth escribió:

Interesting, thanks for posting those.

Have you found any of the earlier hand-made junction boxes for the earlier circular profile lead-sheathed cable with the paper insulation? Those were a work of art. Three cables were jointed, then a square of lead bent over the joint to form a triangle with a cable exiting at each point. The edges of the triangle were then soldered up and the cable sheaths also soldered to the triangle to form a continuous earth. It'd be bloody scary to find those still in use today.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If it was soldereed all round, it should all still be sound. No air equals almost no deterioration, and the lead would provide more cordgrip than a modern jb does.

NT

Reply to
NT

They were.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Never thought of that. I was going to bin it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I cannot say I have seen those. There is a section in my old book about joint boxes and lead sheathed cable.

I'll scan them if anyone says yes.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If its 1923 or before, great, could put em on the wiki some time. After then it'll be copyright though.

NT

Reply to
NT

Isn't copyright from author's death?

depends on whether it's artistic. But how did you get 1923?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Pity, that rules out my "The Complete Handyman" (1938)

Graham.

NT

Reply to
NT

NT

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Never saw any of those, but in a house that was the first in the area to be electrified with its own hydro generator, I found lovely hand-made wooden junction boxes for the cables. Most of the wiring was later, as in lead sheathed, but there was still some evidence of original open conductor types - knob and tube, iirc.

Reply to
grimly4

I've still got some evidence of knob and tube (no longer in use) up in the workshop, even though that was built in the 1950s - presumably it was cheaper, and/or the builders had a supply of material sitting around (the farmhouse was built in the late 40s, but apparently there was a property on the site before that, so maybe they salvaged stuff from there and re- used).

A lot of the top floor of the house is done with cloth-covered rubberised cable, no earth (this is in the US, where wiring practices are probably

40 years behind the UK), with joints soldered and taped. The more modern wiring all uses bloody wire nuts, which I'm not convinced are a step forward, but are standard practice over here.

Much of the house uses modern breakers, but I've still got a fair pile of screw-in fuses "protecting" various out-buildings, not to mention a few lovely old knife switch emergency disconnects... more power, Igor!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The 1800s ended in 1809.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Siemens screw-in fuses were standard fitment here until not all that long ago, being superceded by MCBs. There are still plenty of them in service - like every house over 20 years old. What gave me a snort of amusement was watching 'Das Boot' and seeing the exact same fuses in the bloody U-Boat control room.

Reply to
grimly4

To be fair, I think there are good & bad points for *modern* wiring standards on both sides.

The American standards specify good minimum socket requirements for bedrooms & living rooms, so you don't need to use as many extension leads. They require at least one RCD-protected socket in a bathroom (unlike the obsolete ban on non-shaver sockets in the UK). Cookers and other high-power appliances can be plugged in (with special plugs & sockets according to the current & phases), instead of having to switch off a circuit & fiddle with terminals inside a box. And they divide the sockets in a house into lots of independent circuits, instead of two rings.

OTOH, I like the British practice of putting lights & sockets on separate circuits, & a 3 kW kettle is nice & quick.

As for wire nuts, I get the impression they are fine if used competently in appropriate enclosures. (IIRC, American socket boxes are normally 2" deep, so there's room for the wire nuts. And I've seen the occasional bad terminal block connection in the UK.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

There's nothing to stop anyone using a 32A industrial plug and socket on any cooker in the UK, is so wished.

Reply to
grimly4

OK, but have you ever seen an oven supplied with such a plug, or a domestic kitchen that comes with such a socket?

Reply to
Adam Funk