Cropping steel

Working in steel is not one of my strong points however I need to make about 120 flat feet from 5mm steel. About 200mm long x 50mm wide x 5mm thick with an 8mm hole bored through the centre.
I'm assuming 5mm flat steel about 50mm wide is available in different lengths so what would be the easiest way to cut it into 200mm lengths. I'd spend a bit of money buying a cropper if it wan't mad expensive. What would it cost ?
I suppose the alternative would be the ubiquitous angle grinder. Are those angle grinder stands sold by axminster up to a bit of work?
On Friday, March 23, 2012 9:12:58 AM UTC, fred wrote:
Oredr the lengths you want it in from the suppliers, they'll have a guillotine thingy.
fred wrote:

Ask your steel supplier. For those sort of quantities I would expect they would cut them for you and the finish usually would need little clean up. You will have to do the hole but setting up a few stops on a pillar drill will make short work of those.
hth Bob
fred wrote

Here, the easiest way is to get the supplier of the steel to chop it up into those lengths.

You dont say what you mean be not mad expensuve.
The usual thing is whats called a cutoff saw. Its got a cutting disk in what looks like what you cut wood into lenghts with, with that disk instead of the saw blade you use for wood.

100 ish.

Yes, and that may be the way to go depending on what you plan to do with the steel.

It should do 120 fine.
I'd see what the steel supplier wants to cut it for you first tho.
On 23/03/2012 09:12, fred wrote:

I would use an automatic hacksaw or a horizontal bandsaw. However, if you don't already have one, it would be a lot cheaper to pay a cutting fee to your steel stockist and buy 120 pieces 200mm long.
Colin Bignell
In article

If you want a neat job at not too high a cost with little work consider getting them water jet cut. Not vastly expensive, and no limit on shape.
--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

On 23/03/2012 09:12, fred wrote:

For that quantity, I would just get a steel stockist to provide them precut in the length you need. Trivial for them to do.

A cut off saw or AG in a stand will do it, but will leave a bit of cleaning up required on each cut. You are also taking out more metal due to the width of the kerf.
A hacksaw blade in a reciprocating saw would also be a viable option, but even then you may spend a couple of hours in total doing the cutting.
--
Cheers,

John.

fred wrote:

the place I would buy such would also cut it to size.
It is as you surtmise teh biob for a proper metal shearing tool.

No, they are just for show. Don't even think about it. :-)
shearing or sawing if you must are the ways sheet metal is shaped: save grinding for finishing really hard high carbon steels.
The Natural Philosopher wrote

This isnt sheet metal, Its whats usually cut with a cutoff saw today.
Essentially because its a lot faster than a power hacksaw.

And angle grinder with a cutoff disc it it isnt grinding.

I think there would be a bit of flexing in 5 mm strip 200 mm long. What's its loading like and does a bit of flexing matter?
Its normal to use thinner square section tube as it doesn't flex much.

Angle grinder stands I've played with have a very unrobust hold on the grinder, I wouldnt trust them at all, and certainly wouldnt do over 100 cuts with one.
NT
fred wrote:

If you know what you want, speak to you local steel stockholder, as they all offer a "cut to length" service, though it may only be available for larger orders. For something as simple as you say you want, it may even be worth having a chat with a local engineering firm, depending on how much you value your time. It's the kind of job they used to let the apprentices do for tea money.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.