Old computer backup media destruction

Do you mean *real* floppies? Just put them through a shredder. If you

*really* need to destroy VHS type tapes, smash the box to free up the spools and then cook them with a hot air gun or propane torch.
Reply to
newshound

You could just microwave them until the tape goes soggy.

Reply to
newshound

Or blackmail you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lol!

Reply to
WeeBob

actually for computers whose disk drives still function a live Linux DVD/CD boot followed by a 'dd' command will, after an hour or so, have erased the entire drive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, sort of. It has been shown that a determined forensic expert can often still recover data.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well make it two hours and overwrite with another random pattern then.

The fact of the matter is that in practice that is MORE than good enough. Only by - say - overwiting all 1s or all 0s can you preserve a LITTLE information.

But if you are really worried about your data falling into the hands of the NSA, you will alreday know this and be keeping it all on microfilm anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The edges of the tracks remain.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not sure that is true with modern platter densities. I believe it is much harder than it used to be.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I'm not so sure. The depth of a write into the disk and degree remanence is dependent on the written pattern.

One thing we seem to forget is that many disk technologies can cope with bad sectors, and these are put to one side and un-eraseable and remain potentially readable.

Reply to
Fredxx

So which PARTICULAR piece of data of the 10,000 written to that sector do they preserve?

Get real.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The point is taht theh premise is that the data is written once to the track edge, and then never again. And that is te 'secret' data that you need to erase

Thats is frankly BULLSHIT.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is the first reasonable reason to smash the thing

Howver teh most written sectors are index tracks (FAT and te like). and they dont conmtain information, just pointers to it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never mind, dear.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Dont like being wrong do you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That has not been shown.

Reply to
Josh Nack

Not really given that I have just 2 in about 20TB of hard drive space.

But the bad sectors aren't necessarily the most used ones.

Reply to
Josh Nack

No. but they most probably are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is no wear effect and statistically they are much more likely to not be in the FAT etc. None of mine are.

Reply to
Josh Nack

I'm more concerned about the 60-odd thefts/loss of memory sticks hard drives and entire laptops from MOD premises complete with intact data.

Reply to
Andrew