Old B & S engine (1973)

The even older B & S engine on my cultivator has always been some what taciturn and finally last autumn refused to start.

Some 6 weeks ago I bought an equivalent B & S engine that will fit and couple to the drive. It came off a lawn mower which I didn't see unfortunately, and it certainly looks a good deal more chipper than the old one (someone painted it at some time!).

The carburettor and engine cut-out are different and, whereas I can guess how the cut-out can be arranged. I'm a bit confused about where the throttle cable will go.

Is there any one here who knows about these older engines or can point me to a website with suitable anoraks on it !?

Many thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Briggs and Stratton have a good website, and people who know all that stuff. Google (or whatever Search Engine you care to use) is your friend.

Davey

Thanks Davey - 4 minutes to get an answer !! Impressive and thanks.

I've been on the B & S site and perhaps need to go back on and poke around a bit more, but I wasn't not sure that I could find someone there who would give guidance on what is effectively a conversion from its original use.

I'll go back and have another look Rob

Reply to
robgraham

friend.http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/

Go to alt.binaries.automotive.manuals-tech and search for Briggs and Stratton. There's a "Step by step guide to maintaining..." there, 143 MB download. It was posted about 12 months ago.

I haven't downloaded it so I've no idea if it's what you want.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

No harm in asking. I needed info. on an old engine that wasn't listed on their website, but an enquiry brought a response with a link to exactly what I wanted. You never know who knows what, and they seem a dedicated crowd.

Reply to
Davey

The even older B & S engine on my cultivator has always been some what taciturn and finally last autumn refused to start.

Some 6 weeks ago I bought an equivalent B & S engine that will fit and couple to the drive. It came off a lawn mower which I didn't see unfortunately, and it certainly looks a good deal more chipper than the old one (someone painted it at some time!).

The carburettor and engine cut-out are different and, whereas I can guess how the cut-out can be arranged. I'm a bit confused about where the throttle cable will go.

Is there any one here who knows about these older engines or can point me to a website with suitable anoraks on it !?

Many thanks Rob

If the engine came off a lawn mower chances are that the throttle was a set speed setting. Flat out and that's it. Unless there was an existing clamp attached to show where the cable goes But Given that all you would need to do is molish a suitable outer cable cover clamp at a fixed point on the housing, provide an anchorage for the inner to the lever controlling the throttle stop on the carb and slacken off the locknut a little to allow movement all should be well.

The engine stop could be extended to a more suitable location with bell wire to give an earth when operated which effectively diverts the electrikery to stop the engine.

Reply to
Nthkentman

The kill facility on the old engine was just a plate you pressed onto the top of the spark plug - kinda basic. Clearly lawn mower operators were thought to be less capable of such direct intervention and required an actual switch !! Yes, the remains of such a lead is there and that can be easily extended.

The problem with the carburettor is that there is a cable clamp beneath it and it has a constant speed arrangement (fortunately not the cooling fan air set-up the old machine has), but I cannot work out what the throttle cable was connected to.

Having seen a YouTube video of a guy starting a similar type of engine on the ground , I will have a try at doing this when the weather is a little more inclement.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In article , Sam Plusnet writes

Thanks for that little gem, I didn't know that group existed. I also see a few automotive manuals posted in alt.binaries.e-books .

Reply to
fred