Mower Engine Problem(s)

I have a 2 years, 2 months old Briggs and Stratton 14hp engine on a Troy-Bilt 42" chassis. It just ran out of warranty 2 months ago. When I first got the mower it would backfire every now and then. Last summer it would blow a puff of smoke when I started the engine.

Today, the engine would rev very high until I engaged the blades, then it would resume normal rev speed. I checked a few things, and noticed a rubber hose that attached to the carb from the engine had came lose from the carb. I placed it back on, added oil (as I always do when it's needed), and mowed the grass. When I finished, I turned the mower off and restarted to see if the high revs woul dhappen again. When I did, a large amount of oil blew out the rubber hose I had reconnected.

I'm afraid this may not be good news. This engine has been well cared for - regular oil and filter changes, etc. I had a similar problem with another B&G engine a few years ago. I will not be buying another mower with a Briggs engine mounted in it.

Anyhow, obviously, I need to fix this 2 year old mower. Before I tear down the engine, anyone want to suggest the problem based on the symptoms? Thanks.

Reply to
Greg

Does the oil smell like gas?

Reply to
Steveo

Yes, a little, but doesn't most used oil have a gas smell? What's you analysis if it does have a gas smell?

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
mudpiemaker42

It might be the carb.

Steveo

Reply to
gerald whitaker

Well, the service guy looked at this engine. The cause of failure was due to a ventilation hose detaching and sucking dirt/dust into the engine. The hose, apparently, connects to the engine from the carb. Briggs agreed to replace the full engine, even though it is 2 months out of warranty. Thank you B&S.

The service guy wants $360 to do the work, plus filters, plug, and oil. Does that seem like a reasonable rate? He says he is going by the B&S labor rate guide.

Reply to
Greg

that's a shortblock not a complete engine. and if it's sucked up enough dirt the throttle shaft will be worn in the carb. tell them you want briggs to cover a new carb also. it will be trouble down the road if they don't. i managed a small engine shop for several years and have seen it before. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

He told me that it was a long block (complete engine) less the fly wheel.

Reply to
Greg

backfire on shutoff. Were you able to get an answer to the problem of the backfire, or is this standard?

The engine runs fine, but everytime I shut it off, there is a good 1 backfire. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

-- caj

caj

Reply to
mudpiemaker42