Will B&S engine bolt to a Tecumseh mower?

I have a 22" high-wheel rear-bagger push mower that won't start. It hasn't run right for a couple of years, and I've had to take off the kill switch and the flywheel brake because the switch was busted and several other dubious repairs; But the deck and the bagger attachment are still in good shape.

I was at Fleet Farm today and they had a 20" side-discharge mower with a Tecumseh engine for $128, and I got to thinking about buying one and swapping the new engine onto my better deck.

Well, Lowes has a 22" cheap mower for $148 that has a more powerful engine and the right size blade. And I have a $10 off Lowes coupon I could use. But according to lowes.com, their mower has a Briggs engine instead of Tecumseh. So will it fit on my mower deck, or will the holes not line up? (both are stamped steel) Or maybe the shaft is the wrong length? I'm not sure if that stuff is standardized or not.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The shaft is an easy measure job. They all stick down though a big hole in the center of the deck. When you flip it over you are seeing the bottom of the engine.

One could make a template of the bolts on your old one and then compare it to the display models. The worst that would happen is that you need to drill a new hole or two in your deck.

I suspect you won't even have to do that. Most of the engines and decks have more holes than are used.

The oil drain hole alignment may be your bigger problem.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hey Bob, you mentioned Fleet Farm which kinda narrows where you live...I'm not far from the one in Waupaca! Shaft length would be an important point...as you mentioned.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

"zxcvbob" wrote

So you want to buy a mower just for the engine? Why not buy just the engine? There are a few places that sell them at reasonable prices and reasonable shipping charges. Do a Google search and you'll find a couple of suppliers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A whole mower is cheaper than an engine. (that makes me sad) It might even be cheaper than a carburetor.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Either Briggs or Tecumseh can have long or short shafts - so you need to measure. Usually redrilling a stamped steel deck is not a big issue. - measure the diameter of the cutout in the deck on both mowers.

Reply to
clare

Don't be sad Bob. I spent 20 years trying to kill a B&S mower engine. All the money I saved on not performing oil changes I used to buy a new mower. That mower lasted 20 years I bet! Sold in the last yard sale for $7.00

-- "cut the grass low, kill the roots and go fishing"

Reply to
Oren

People give away old mowers with other problems all the time. Why not just score a used one for a motor and other parts? Try craigslist or freecycle.

Reply to
Bob F

Seems counter-productive to me. Even if it bolts up and the shaft is the proper length, will the cable be the correct length?

Why not just buy the new mower, maintain it properly? It will out last you.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

It's been a while since I did a motor swap, on a walking mower. I've done less than a dozen, but that's something. The hole for the motor may be a different size. And the mounting bolt holes may be in different places. A tape measure, and a look at both will tell.

One I did, the motor only mounted what I'd consider backwards (spark plug in front). I needed a longer throttle cable to get to the front of the mower deck.

The blades will probably not interchange, from Briggs to Tec. Different mounting bolts. Somehow, I remember using a

15/16 socket on the Tec, and 9/16 on the Briggs. The blades have different diameter center holes.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Eventually I might do that* but the new mowers I'm looking at do not have a rear bagger or a mulcher, and they don't have high wheels in the back.

I got a name and number for an old retired guy that fixes small engines a lot cheaper than the commercial shops. I'm gonna take it to him and see if maybe my mower just needs a new float valve and carb kit.

*The 20" mowers have short shafts and I need a long one. The 22" cheap mowers should bolt right up to my deck, but I just thought mine was a 22"; it's 21" and a 22" blade won't fit. So I'd have to cut 1/2" off each end of the new blade and rebalance it, or buy a new 21" blade (my old blade probably won't fit because the holes are the wrong size) The cables look like they'd fit just fine.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob