Flywheel Replacement - Tecumseh engine

How difficult is it to replace a flywheel on a Tecumseh vertical shaft engine and are any special tools needed? We have one which has a couple of bad sections of gear teeth (used by an electric starter). I have no idea why as the starter gear is plastic.

I'm presuming the gear teeth are integral to the flywheel and therefore metal, unless they somehow add a ring around the outside with the teeth on it. (That would help explain how it could be damaged.)

I can go fetch the engine model number if need be though I think most of these engines are very similar. It's on a Lawn-Boy walk-behind mower.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

Could be debris getting in there and shearing them off - or someone wedged the flywheel with a screwdriver while trying to remove whatever's at the other end of the engine (blade, presumably) and sheared the teeth.

I suspect it's a case of undoing an single bolt and gently easing the flywheel off (where 'gently' might mean a few taps with a cloth-wrapped hammer :-)

I suppose it's possible that replacement teeth could be welded on and fashioned into shape with a grinder, which might be less expensive than a whole new flywheel (and could be done in-place) - it'd wear the plastic starter pinion faster than by design, but I think they're only a couple of bucks normally.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Pretty much falling off a log easy with the recommended puller. The place you buy the flywheel from should have a book and the puller.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Hold the flywheel up with a screwdriver/pry bar, and rap the end of the crankshaft with a hammer. If the threads on the crankshaft go to the end, you'll want to screw on a coupling nut so as not to mash the threads (they sell a tool for this if you insist).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

...or you can put the flywheel nut back-on (75%) and hit that instead.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I made a flywheel puller for my Tecumseh by drilling three holes in a piece of 1/4" steel plate so that the holes lined up with the holes in the flywheel.

I threaded nuts onto the bolts, slipped them through the plate and tightened them into the threaded holes in the flywheel. A few turns of the nuts and the flywheel pulled right off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Loosen the flywheel nut, put a couple of levers under the flywheel to pull it up, then smartly crack the top of the shaft with a (brass) hammer, and the flywheel should pop off the taper. There are puler tools available as well, but I've had just as good luck with the hammer.

Reply to
clare

Except flywheels are still pretty pletiful out there, so replacing the whole flywheel is still the preferred fix.

Reply to
clare

...or get a pull start for it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

What other said, except it is MUCH easier to pry up while a second person does the hammering on the end of the crankshaft, unless you have 3 arms?

Reply to
hrhofmann