Murray Lawnmower / B&S Engine Help Needed

I am trying to get a friends lawnmower working again. The claim is that it just stopped running, but I don't really believe that story.
The engine is a B&S 300E, 125CC, 45 ft-lbs torque. I pulled the spark plug and it is used, but clean-looking. The gap is just .020 - .021. I can't r ecall ever seeing a gap that small on these types of engines. There is a sp ark when I pull the starter, so I am guessing that the gap could be the pro blem.
I know that with a lot of time I can search the internet for this info, but does anyone here know where I can easily go on the internet to find the sp ark plug gap? Better yet, does anyone actually have the correct spark plug gap?
TIA for any advice!!!!
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 12:14:06 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

it just stopped running, but I don't really believe that story.

g and it is used, but clean-looking. The gap is just .020 - .021. I can't recall ever seeing a gap that small on these types of engines. There is a spark when I pull the starter, so I am guessing that the gap could be the p roblem.

ut does anyone here know where I can easily go on the internet to find the spark plug gap? Better yet, does anyone actually have the correct spark pl ug gap?

Google broken?
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/identifying- the-correct-spark-plug-and-gap.html
Looks like most are .03, but I doubt the gap is your problem. Most common problem is a fouled carb. Did you try spraying some starting fluid in the carb and see if it will fire on that?
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 09:14:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I agree with trader, squirt some fuel directly in the carb and see if it fires. Regular gasoline works fine. Use a syringe and shoot about 2-3 CCs in there. (the drug store might even give you a couple for free if you don't have one) Crank it over with the throttle wide open and see if it runs a couple seconds. IF so, start looking for a fuel problem. Plugged carb jet or a bad filter is a reasonable place to start.
Bob F posted for all of us...

Plastic or paper?
--
Tekkie

Plastic straws are evil and illegal in more places every day. Try the syringe and you will never screw with any of those other tricks. I had access to a bunch of 10CC syringes and I keep them around the garage for lots of stuff. 10 ccs of oil is also perfect for a pint of 50;1 2 stroke gas when you just need to cut up a few things with a chain saw or you want to mix your weed eater gas a tank at a time.
Regapped the plug to 0.03, looks more normal now<g>.
Ran mower with gas-soaked filter, ran for 10 seconds and died. Repeated, same thing. Tried pushing the primer button, no luck. So tomorrow it is take the gas line to the carburetor off and see if it is plugged or if the problem is internal to the carb.
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 9:43:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

same thing. Tried pushing the primer button, no luck. So tomorrow it is take the gas line to the carburetor off and see if it is plugged or if the problem is internal to the carb.
If you identify the carb you can find rebuild kits on ebay that give you ne w gaskets, needle valve, any welch plugs, etc for ~ $10 or a new Chinese ca rb for maybe twice that.
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:42:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

If the primer bulb is broken (or a hose going to it). it WILL NOT run. I found that out on a chainsaw. Those bulbs not only inject fuel to start the engine, butr they also provide an air leak if they are faulty and you just can not run the engine.
As far as your plug gap, If you cant find an actual manual for that mower online, Dont waste your time online. Just call a local small engine shop. They have all that info. The internet is not good for specifications like that. Ask Google for apples and offer info for oranges. They dont care, as long as they make a buck off of you clicking on their results. And so much of the repair info online are forums these days. Just people speculating and guessing. You dont want guesses, you FACTORY SPECS.
On 6/12/2018 11:14 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Oh come on..... just go to youtube, type in B&S mower won't run ... there will be a couple of hundred videos on how to trouble shoot the problem and how to get it running again. What you'll wind up doing is taking the carb off and running a bread tie through the jet to unclog it. The ethanol causes a lot of problems with small engines. Use only 100% pure gas and save yourself a lot of problems.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=B%26S+mower+won%27t+start

I ended up spending the whole day doing yard work and trimming all the shrubs around the foundation and several Crabapple trees and Birch trees that had dead wood needing removal. Hope to get to the carburetor problem sometime on Thursday, after I finish mowing my yard with my own lawnmower.