Help w/ rebuilding B&S engine

I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model 28N707. When I disassembled the engine, I failed to notice which pusher rod was the exhaust and which was the intake. One rod has a red band painted on it and is slightly longer than the other. It also has "rounder" ends than the other one.

Can someone tell me which is which?

In addition, are the tappets identical or is one for intake and one for exhaust? If they are different, how do I tell the difference?

TIA

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jurgens

Could also use the "code" number on the ID Plate... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

They certainly are different -- the exhaust handles much higher temperatures. I'm not sure which one is which. The small engines I used to service, the intake valve is wider.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I beieve he's asking about pushrods, not valves.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

The Briggs and Stratton web site has illustrated parts list for most all models of their engines. Might be worth seeing if they have yours.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

That's the same engine that blew up on my tractor (see "7 y.o. B&S engine threw a rod!") I'll be interested to know how the rebuild works out.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

I guess that's why it was so easy for me to find a 2nd hand carb for my 287707 on eBay, then. Hope it lasts a few more years... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

I have a seven year old 14.5HP B&S that makes a knocking sound at startup, shutdown and everytime the rpm's change. I guess it is getting ready to explode. The B&S website is pretty nice in providing PDF files of the exploded parts lists. Now I just need to get brave enough to tear into this engine.

I don't like the dipsticks on the recent engines. I think it makes it more difficult to fill an accurate oil level. This may have contributed to my trouble.

Reply to
galt_57

Try checking the mounting bolts for the engine - you might find out they are loose and the knocking sound is the engine trying to rotate around the crank as it's running. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling