B&S 5HP Valve Spring ?

I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of compression . Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a bit longer and stronger than the other. And I' ve found varying answers while searching the internet as to which spring go es on which valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

Reply to
jamesgang

IIRC, the exhaust spring is heavier, cause it gets hotter during operation. It's been a couple decades since I took my small engine repair course. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. . "jamesgang" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engines are common on snow blowers, and I expect rototillers as well, so I expect any place that repairs outdoor power equipment would be able to tell you for sure.

Reply to
nestork

That does make sense. So far the exhaust is winning. I'm still waiting on rings and gaskets so I don't have to commit yet.

Plus I cleaned up the valves and see that I need to adjust the clearance a little by grinding on the ends of the stems.

Reply to
jamesgang

That does make sense. So far the exhaust is winning. I'm still waiting on rings and gaskets so I don't have to commit yet.

Plus I cleaned up the valves and see that I need to adjust the clearance a little by grinding on the ends of the stems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That would be my answer too. If the op acts stupid and humiliated, that will make it even more fun for the pro to tell him the answer.

I'll bet it's the same for all engines with different size springs. AFAIK, cars have the same size springs for intake and exhaust.

Reply to
micky

Some do, some do not.

Reply to
clare

Not many places left that repair small engines. Besides I can here to get an actual answer which it did. From the comfort of my home too.

Not all cars do.

Reply to
jamesgang

My WAG would be that the intake spring would be stiffer, because it needs to ensure the valve shuts regardless of the vacuum in the cylinder.

Complete WAG, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"atmospheric" engines used the vacuum to open the (intake) valve without aid of a camshaft. The intake valve spring in this case was very light.

Reply to
clare