Identify thermostatic valve

This is the thermostatic valve from a shower:

The mixer I removed it from has no markings, and this valve barely has any - just some numbers on the brass spindle at the left.

When the unit warms up, the section on the left moves outwards, opening the gap you can see to the right of the first black rubber seal. This allows more cold water to flow in through that gap, and out into the mixer.

The problem is that the mixed water never gets hot enough, so either the thermostat mechanism itself is too cautious about hot water, or the valve is unable to restrict the entry of cold water properly (I suspect this).

I think it's probably unlikely I will find a replacement for this, and instead will need to replace the whole mixer. Before I do, any suggestions for identifying it in order to find a replacement?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

This is a cartridge I haven't seen before. I would suggest you have a look on eBay.

There are some very cheap shower bars which take this type of universal cartridge

Although it quotes Triton this fits a number of Chinese clone showers. Its easy to swap out if it fails again.

I think this might be new time for a new shower mixer.

I find the wax capsules stick, I've had to replace mine now twice.

You may be able to open yours up and push the pin back in but I'm sure it will fail again the same way. Another alternative is to source a stronger spring to push the pin back in with a little more force.

I'm intrigued if anyone has solved the issue with the wax capsule pin sticking.

Reply to
Fredxx

If you send the photo to

they can probably advise you (and supply a replacement). That's what I did when I couldn't remember the make/model.

Reply to
Davidm

Thanks, it looks as if anyone knows, they will.

But it also seems pretty clear that it is unlikely to be worth it. Amazing that most of the cartridges seem to be more expensive than most new thermostatic mixer units!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I couldn't identify the part, but to my surprise, I was able to repair it. I'm not sure exactly what did the trick, whether it was just a case of reseating the seal or leaving it jammed open in hot vinegar, but it works beautifully now.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I had considerable success soaking them in descaler

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher