oil/grease on washing from the washing machine

As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your comments about what is the source.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'd put my money on a failed seal on the drum bearing...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably the drum bearing seals which if so means the bearings themselves are on borrowed time.

Reply to
Dave Baker

With our machine it was a build up of black sludge in the door seal. Stretch out the seal and you will probably find it. I think it is due to the new low temperature detergents which do not clean the machine unlike the old 60deg ones.

Reply to
chudford

If the door seal/tub shell gasket is black, it may have perished and made the mark.

Has this happened on more than one wash? Possibility of the mark on prior to wash and wash not sufficient to clean it off.

In any case I would run another couple of washes before attempting a repair if only to confirm.

Reply to
SS

means machine is in need of a major clean. Teh dirt isnt visible by peering in the drum. Se the wiki article on washing machine smells.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Went to the local repair anything shop this morning and he suggested it was a dirty washing machine, as we wash almost anything on the lowest temperatures. I'm half way through a cleaning procedure at the moment. Second half will be tomorrow. He did say that it was very unlikely to be a bearing leak though, as the water is trying to get out of the bearing in the opposite direction.

Dave

Reply to
Dave