kenmore washing machine hose life

I have braided inlet hoses. They are 6 years old, and they look OK. The water supply to them is on all the time. How often should they be replaced? Thanks.

Reply to
mike

I go for five years. Which means mine are do for another change next year.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree five years, and mine are about 10, time for another job.

Reply to
m Ransley

Braided stainless steel doesn't last a life time?

Reply to
Rob

Don't full around with hoses. go to Lowe's or menards or HD and get you a set of metal braided hoses. I think they're a little under 20 bucks. I had a rubber hose on my washer bust and if I hadn't been home I would have had a real mess on my hands. I just had a partial mess in our laundry room. I even bought a metal braided one for my refrigerator and got rid of the plastic hose. Be safe not sorry!! I learned the hard way.

Reply to
Bob

Sure, it lasts till it dies. :-)

Reply to
C G

We don't worry about the supply hoses to our washer, we simply turn the water off after we finish using the washing machine. Some years back, my wife was having coffee with a few of the neighbor gals and told them that she always turns the supply taps off when her clothes washing is complete. This brought many guffaws from the gals who thought that was a ridiculous thing to do. A few months following, one of the gals who had just had her basement finished to the cost of $ thousands $, went away for a weekend and wouldn't you know it, the supply hose on the washer burst. When they returned home, they had several inches of water all over their newly finished basement. Some may feel that turning off the supply lines is a foolish waste of time, but we rest easy knowing that our basement won't be flooded.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

If you really want to be safe, get one of the automatic cut off switches. You replace the existing shutoffs with it and when you want to do a load, you press the start button on the remote, mounted in a convenient location. Then the valve opens and stays open for a limited amount of time, like 20 minutes or whatever you washer needs, then shuts off.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This would be a pain in the ass for me since I tend to soak the wash first for anywhere between 1/2 to 2 hours. Also, when the first agitation cycle is up before the rinse cycle, I tend to reset it again on very dirty loads.

Reply to
Rob

Their total age isn't really important-- what you want to do is change them just before they burst or leak.

Some people like to wait until 2 weeks before they fail to change them but to be on the safe side, I'd recommend you do it at least a month or so in advance...

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Isn't that what the OP he said he had? Or is there some type or "braided" rubber hoses (for washers) which I'm not aware of?

Braid stainless steel hoses likely only need to be replaced when they show signs of age (wear and tear, fraying, etc.) or are leaking other than at their connections to the taps. I don't think there's any (significant) chance of bursting like rubber hoses can.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Normal people shut off the water supply valves when they finish their laundry chores. I guess you are not normal !

Reply to
me

I guess normal is in the minority............I never shut off the valves, even when I have replaced it with the newer style single lever. As to the life expectancy of braided hoses.......which I have also, I would check on the package of one in a store somewhere, and gauge yours by what you read.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock