Oh look. No solar , sod all wind

and 3.5GW of coal onstream with nukes and CCGT practically flat out

And no imports either...

The Natural Philosopher

Losing your touch remembering domain names?

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's a domain I gave to TNP ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

What are you on about?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And its a much nicer domain name too. Thanks andy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So, much as expected. I wouldn't be surprised to see OCGTs up later. Do you know how much coal capacity we have, in total?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The 'usual' winter high pressure over the UK that the Greens like to ignore?

wiki says 7.3 GW, are any closed ones kept moth-balled for balancing/reserve purposes? I suppose you can't leave a mountain of coal out in the rain indefinitely ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The company I used to work for had their own coal-fired power station up until about 1970, to supplement the grid or to use when the grid went down. The man who managed the coal stocks told me that the stock decreased naturally every year, by about 10% IIRC (which seems a lot, I may have mis-remembered), simply due to aerial oxidation of the stockpile. In the extreme, they can suffer spontaneous combustion.

Chris Hogg

Nothing to do with sneaky pilfering by the workforce (and/or public) ?

Reply to
Andrew

Did he threaten to shoot your puppy?

Reply to
Graham.

Richard

That which was to be illustrated:

Five 400 MW gas turbines apparently flat out (at right).

Three wind turbines apparently totally still (at left).

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Yup UK now chugging out 318 grams CO2 for every kWh produced.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

square root of sweet fanny adams I thought and all of it due to close soon

'The other mike' prolly knows

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

same site

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where, OOI?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Fiddler's Ferry closing down at end of March, Drax's remaining coal units will convert to gas in 2023, the final three coal stations will be gone by 2025.

Reply to
Andy Burns

it's been sitting in the wet for millions of years already. I can't see how it would shrink 10% a year other than by shrinkage, but I'm no coalologist.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It oxidises - slowly