oh dear "lets-do-diy" not

"The 300mm (3ft 1in) of piping running from the boiler should always be copper. Remember that plastic pipes should never be used for gas or oil supplies."

new ruler required methinks... & isn't qualpex (?) oil pipe plastic?

that site has numerous forums too (go on then Nat Phil what's the plural?).... - I expect they'll end up here sooner or later...

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

The Natural Philosopher

JimK wibbled on Saturday 01 May 2010 16:34

Organisation Name.... Ignition Strategic Design Ltd Organisation Address. St Johns Court South Parade Organisation Address. Organisation Address. Bath Organisation Address. BA2 4AF Organisation Address. Bath Organisation Address. GREAT BRITAIN (UK)

Who they then?

They've made an effort, but the equipotential bathroom bonding page leaves a bit to be desired. And they don't mention anything about testing AFAICS. They do mention notifiable work and Building Control though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As with many words of Latin origin both forums and fora are acceptable English usage.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember JimK saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

get in!!!! :>) JimK

Reply to
JimK

Make 18th regulations C & D (Commercial & Domestic).

- Make 18th-C "as-is" re design, engineer, C&G spark etc.

- Make 18th-D "USA style Code Picture Book with best practice".

Make domestic "pictorial follow A-B-C-D-E" unless C&G signed-off any variation which would very rarely be required since domestic is nearly always standard circuits. That way kitchen fitters to DIY to anyone has a baseline to a) copy b) check against c) avoid argument over. Simple, shows quality required, would educate & elevate standards (appendix shows the calculations but otherwise standard circuits ok, length checkable re EFLI although RCD/RCBO blurs that issue until they fail :-)

The argument against it has long been "IEE Wiring Regs must also apply to commercial/industrial so need to be written for such", but for domestic the blunt proof is 5-day training course for Domestic Installers. That is why we COULD go "do it by Pictorial Set Code".

Long overdue for domestic. NICEIC could even turn out The Book and make money on that PLUS commercial electrician fees, training courses, consultancy services rather than the ridiculous lobbying that got SI2004.

Reply to
js.b1

First rate idea. Which probably guarantees it will never happen.

Here in Australia it's worse - all plumbing and electrics have to be done by card-carrying pros. Am working on a volunteer project ATM and bath waste to adjacent drain point has to be done before studding can be completed - I could do it myself in 30 mins but definitely not allowed.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Tony Bryer wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 02:12

What "justification" did they use to regulate plumbing?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is that literally 'all' plumbing & electrics? Just Googled a few Ozzie handymen & none seems to offer plumbing or electrics. Seems like my business couldn't function over there?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What about wireless doorbells and decking?:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

How about "Use copper. If you knew exactly what the rules were, just which pipe materials were permissible and how to join them correctly, you wouldn't be reading this."

PS - Don't use a hacksaw to cut the pipe either.

PPS - Ex-wife's oil tank was in on plastic (probably dodgy, given their local plumbers). The dog chewed through it, flooded the yard with oil and dissolved the asphalt surface. Right old mess.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There's a $750 (£450) limit below which some work can be done without a licence

the linked document:

"The installation of roof sheeting, flashings, guttering and downpipes on a shed, regardless of scale, must be carried out by a registered or licensed plumbing practitioner if it is connected to a stormwater collection or disposal system; and

If the value of the roof plumbing work exceeds $750 a compliance certificate is required from a licensed plumbing practitioner."

Reply to
Tony Bryer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tony Bryer saying something like:

An absolute racket, by the sound of that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

well and truly lobbied....

JimK

Reply to
JimK

How did Australia, a country that you'd hardly expect to become a "nanny state", turn out that way? Besides internet access control that's promising to make China look generous. Was it just protectionist trades unions?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember JimK saying something like:

It worries me the situation here (UK and Ireland) could become similar - I wonder if in Germany the same restrictions apply and we all know how the Eurocrats love to follow the German model. Order, discipline, healthy living. Ja.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There are various different rules in various EU countries, but in most of them it's a national pastime ignoring the law, so no one worries about them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't know, but I suspect the latter

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In Australian politics, the Labor party hierarchy tends to be from successful Trade Unionists, and their periods in office have resulted in swathes of laws that protect their members interests. It's just the same in NZ. We DIY'ers would have no chance there!

I discovered when living there that it was illegal for me to fit a power socket on the internal wall of my house. Altogether Oz is much more of a 'nanny state' than many there are prepared to admit, with hosts of dos/donts that must be learned. Last year I was admonished for parking a car outside a house in Sydney facing 'the wrong way'!

DJ

Reply to
David J