Offers on cement mixers?

I am about to start installing a new fence with concrete posts, followed by a shed base.

Does anyone know of any good/special deals at the moment for cement mixers?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Hire one, unless you want the shed to be half-full as soon as you've finished building it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cement mixers are surprisingly cheap to hire, and I've never bought one for the clutter reason.

But if it's going to be a slow job rather than getting it over in one big bang, buying may be more economic.

For concrete, you need a reasonably substantial machine. The little diy ones are ok for cement, but struggle with the larger (and lumpier) batches you're likely to want with concrete.

Having tried various machines, the belle minimix is well worth what it costs:

RubberBiker

That would have to be one big mixer :-) [My mate Juan FG Bigshed is helping with the design.]

I am (obviously) costing between purchase and hire.

is the cheapest I've seen so far; I am trawling for a used mixer but not doing too well.

The project may drag over several weeks which could point towards buying, however:

to confirmation this will supply a 240V mixer for £10 a week up to the 6th September.

Can't seee me beating that with a purchase!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

RubberBiker coughed up some electrons that declared:

only way I considered buying one was a mate was offloading a high capacity one (next size up from that Belle, mix a proper barrowload sort of size) for 30 quid - and I had to collect.

Decent ones are expensive, especially for one job.

Mine has been a very useful ornament to have hanging around but mostly because it was cheap, I don't care if it rots away outside and I have lots of jobs which cannot be compressed into one time slice requiring the odd

1 - 13 barrowloads.

For one job, I would definately hire a decent sized mixer for a base.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

David WE Roberts coughed up some electrons that declared:

Have you thought about bedding the fenceposts in with dry mix (eg Postcrete) and just hiring a massive mixer for 1 day for the shed base?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

of small loads. The next size up is the Belle Minimix (orange colour). Screwfix sell it around =A3289 iirc. Machine Mart sell them for about =A3250. I got one about 6 months ago from B&Q via their price match +10% off the MM price. Very decent mixer and can mix about 11 shovels of sand/2 cement in one go. You can spin the drum off to make storing it easier and they should hold a decent second hand price.

dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

Use "instant" concrete unless you mean you are thinking of casting your own concrete posts .

Get pre-mixed concrete delivered to the site. That way you'll have a decent consistent mix that hasn't gone off at a range of different times.

Screwfix were claiming 40% off, but I can't see any evidence for that in their prices.

A typical small mixer will knock up 90 litres of cement. That's a bit feeble. If you really must, this looks OK.

really don't like those stupid wobbly tripod stands though.

Reply to
Steve Firth

of small loads. The next size up is the Belle Minimix (orange colour). Screwfix sell it around £289 iirc. Machine Mart sell them for about £250. I got one about 6 months ago from B&Q via their price match +10% off the MM price. Very decent mixer and can mix about 11 shovels of sand/2 cement in one go. You can spin the drum off to make storing it easier and they should hold a decent second hand price.

dave.

I got a Belle 150 mixer off ebay for about 170 notes. It was in very good condition and has been "loaned out for a crate of beer" at least 10 times since I owned it. It owes me nothing.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That reminds me - does anyone know of any special offers on replica watches?

Reply to
David