Granolithic Mortar (grano) quantities

at

is a section headed "Granolithic Mortars" aka Grano.

(this is the standard stuff to use for doorsteps and other hardwearing concrete areas).

The website gives full mixing instructions but doesn't specify how much is needed (eg in kg per finished cubic metre). Does anyone know please?

I can't recall seeing Grano on sale in a shed, so is it sold in premixed bags by builders merchants? Does it have other names in other parts of the country?

Any snags/ pitfalls using it?

TIA

Reply to
jim

I've no idea what you are talking about here - how many kg's in a cubic metre? - how many cubic metres are you thinking of laying? - it's a finish, that is, it's used on top of normal concrete to achive a hardwearing surface that doesn't dust up as much....I wouldn't use it any thicker than 2 inches.

Don't know any other names, apart from 'granol', and it's not sold premixed, it's just sharp blue grit that you mix with cement yourself. You can get it in B&Q and also BM's sell it by the tonne or 25kg bag

Too thin or thick and it cracks up, too weak and it comes up in sheets at the first sign of frost.

in a normal 'belle' style mixer, mix 100kgs of grano to 25kgs of cement - the mixer is full to overflowing....don't use plasticisers or anything else and add water sparingly as it's often holding a lot of water within itself and doesn't dry the mix up like sand can.

What's it for?

Reply to
Phil L

/snip/

Query relaing to 'kg/cubic m?' was intended to mean how many kg grano are needed for 1 finished cubic metre - sorry that wasn't clear.

/snip/

To cast a doostep (with a nosing) and possibly (later & elsewhere) a small area in front of a door (c,900 x 600)

Thanks for the info - a great help

Reply to
jim

It is mortar or screed made with granite chippings as the aggregate.

Reply to
Onetap