Documentation following a boiler installation

Hi, does anyone know what documentation should be provided following a plumber fitting a boiler, and if the plumber is not corgi registered but in training, should their 'mentor' oversee the work? Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

By law, you must be left all the installation, servicing, and user instructions which the manufacturer provides with the boiler.

You should also be left the Benchmark commisioning and service record, filled in for the installation and commissoning.

Don't know about the Part L bits and pieces -- I deliberately did mine just before that came in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In addition, the fitter has to register the installation with CORGI, who in turn notify Building Control, and you get a letter back confirming that this has been done. This is the step to watch for, as it costs the fitter cash to do the registration, so it's not exactly in his interest to do it if the punter isn't bothered about it.

Well, the 'mentor' has to satisfy himself that the work has been done properly, as it's his head on the CORGI block if there's a problem with the installation. I don't know what 'rules' there are about the level of supervision.

David

Reply to
Lobster

A fitter I know charges £100 for the registration. If the work is part of other building work, it's cheaper to have it included on that instead. I haven't asked him, but I suspect some punters genuinely couldn't care less about the BCO paperwork either.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wow - don't know what the real cost is but that sounds like an eff-off price to me. Yes, I suppose if the fitter gives a price up front for with/without registration, then it's fair enough if it doesn't happen if the customer isn't fussed; however if it's not even been mentioned then I'd expect it to be done by default.

That being said, personally I'd certainly make clear to the Corgi at the outset that I would be wantimg the registration, just so all expectations are met.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That's a good mark up as it costs £2.50 online to register the work per property. (i.e if you also do electric and controls and cylinder(s) at the same time then it's still £2.50). I just register them anyway whether the customer wants to or not. A steady stream of registrations seems to keep the CORGI inspector at bay and chasing the others. 8-)

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Not knowing what's involved, how long does it take you to do, out of interest? My Corgi was whinging about all the extra paperwork he had to do because of it; and presumably that's why AG's quotes 100 notes to do it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The real cost is not the notification charge but the VAT and income tax bill the plumber will get. If the plumber "hides" several installs each year using cash payers but then registers all the boilers he has installed it will show up when the Inland Revenue decides to have a look.

There are the usual work arounds to get the boiler registered (with a little VAT paid) and they are well known in the trade.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

The actual notification online takes about 10 minutes, enter the post code, house number, customer name, removed boiler, new stuff and press the button.

However that fact that you have put the job 'above the parapet' means that everything else is now up for checking, which means the job may have to pass inspection and all the other paperwork (eg. commissioning log book etc.) will have to be in order and that does take time to do the required tests.

OTOH those test and paperwork are part of a 'good job'.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

So even if the customer isn't fussed about getting the piece of paper, it's probably still worth insisting upon it as there's less chance of getting an iffy job done - which stands to reason, really.

David

Reply to
Lobster