Loft cleaning advice please

I've been up in my loft looking at the drips. Its never been cleaned in over 100 years- what sort of tools and methods do you recomend i use? What can go wrong if i get the biggest vaccuum cleaner i can find from HSS?
as well as cobwebs and dust and slate and woodrot powder and cement and bricks and wood and metal pipes and wires live and dead and lots of polystyrene chunks and ripped up bedding and bits of carpet and that brown wooly filling from armchairs and sleeping bags and eggboxes which were put in for insulation in the 70s i guess...
a fire risk.
and what sort of breath protection? those throwaway face masks look a bit flimsy for the amount of dust up there, and those plastic eye glasses make my specs steam up, is there a mask you can recommend please?
Theres no asbestos i think.
--

[george]

~

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

Didn't you ask this about a week ago? There were plenty of helpful responses.
i did try to ask this on friday but it hasnt come up in my news inbox so i assumed my message didnt get sent...
it had the same subject when i tried to send it before...
i guess if you saw it then it was sent, maybe i can find it through google???
[g]
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

That approach could keep other posters happy ;)
yes, found them at 15th march at http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/25fe6cc17a01fe80/d9fa1627c3805432?hl=en-GB&lnk=gst&q=loft+cleaning+advice#d9fa1627c3805432
but why didnt they show up?
I've been away offline for 4 or 5 days, does the newsgroupreader often lose messages like this?
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_thread/thread/25fe6cc17a01fe80/d9fa1627c3805432?hl=en-GB&lnk=gst&q=loft+cleaning+advice#d9fa1627c3805432
Not in my personal experience but will depend upon ISP/ newsgroup route etc.
hmmm, no uk-diy messages received dated sunday 16th march, do i have to log on every 2 days?
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

Sorry, can't help you here. If I've understood right you are using NTL as your ISP but hotmail for your address and OE? How do you have your newsreader set up - i.e to delete mail after say 2 days. this is moving out of my realm of knowledge.
its getting a bit beyond me too... but i now know if i dont logon for a few days then some newsgroup messages dont get through, i dont know why, but it doesnt matter that much to me.
thanks and goodnight
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:56:42 -0000, George \(dicegeorge\) wrote:

Depends how long the news server you are using retains messages for and how reliable it is. Some servers have very short retention times others are remarkably unreliable, some both...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Virgin aren't that bad! (I use Berlin, partner uses VM news servers.) I suspect it is something like the "download 500 messages" setting.
--
Rod

having listened to a radio4 prgramme about caving at 11a.m.today http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 / i've been holding my breath for 30seconds whilst ripping down ceiling lathes and plaster dust then running away to rip off my mask and breathe...
stops the goggles getting steamed up!
got a usb keyboard so im not getting plasterdust into my laptop!

Don't.