Cleaning the loft..;.

We've just turned our stone slate roof which had been back-pointed over the years. The back pointing and other shit fell into the loft space on top of the old fibre glass where it's obviously consorted with the original shit which has been in situ since the house was built (1811). Consequently it all wants cleaning out. The ceilings are lath and plaster so easy sweeping between the ceiling spars isn't an option. Space is also at a premium as the King Post bisects the space quite nicely thank you! Does anyone know if there such a thing as an industrial vacuum cleaner with a larger hose than you normally find on Henrys and such like. The bits of pointing will block Henry's nose and I'm thinking that a machine with a 3 or 4 " hose might be useful. Any ideas?

By the way, I'm talking hiring here, not buying. Quick google on hire sites wasn't too helpful.

Patrick

Reply to
Meoww

I've got one made by BVC that uses two motors, which have to be switched on sequentially to avoid blowing the 13A fuse in the plug, and a 25ft x 3" hose, which we use for cleaning the factories. I would be surprised if you could not hire something similar.

Try looking for industrial cleaning supply companies, as well as ordianry tool hire companies. That is where I hire a floor sweeping machine when I need one.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you have him use Henry anyway, if he can't suck it up then at least you can bring the bit to you and remove it by hand rather than crawling about into the corners. At least that's what I did, used the small nozzle so not so much stuff that would block the hose will get sucked up and just vac away. I'd get a disposable full body suit from Screwfix as well and a proper mask they do for around £14.00. Put the suit and mask on and no itches and no black lungs either. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

HSS. There must be one near you?

Patrick

Reply to
Parish

I had the same problem, the weight of all the debris was causing the (3" x

2" joisted) ceilings to droop and when the (Heavy Duty) vacuum didn't clog it was full in 5 minutes. Finally went up there in disposable paper overalls, long gloves and pressurised mask and with lots of black bags, brush and pan. It took days, and the fibreglass was so full of mortar (torching) I scrapped the lot. Finished off with the vacuum on the laths and plaster (I did get someone to help me, and he promptly put his foot through the ceiling).

I subsequently removed the tiles, felted and re-laid them - prior to attic conversion.

HTH BAH

Reply to
BAH

Thanks for the replies. I looked at HSS' website but couldn't see a vac with a larger hose than normal. Will phone them and see.

I'm probably just procrastinating because it looks like it's going to be such a horrid job. Discussed it with the wife but her eyes went sort of glazed when I suggested she goes up there and does the low eaves bits :0)

Patrick

Reply to
Meoww

Ditto. The insulation may not be as thick as you want and will be compressed and isn't *that* expensive. Roll all the crap up in the insulation and bag it. Nice it aint. Another tip, once you have hoovered all the joists and laths etc., it's an ideal time to get it sprayed for woodworm.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Our last house was an 1850's stone terrace with stone roof that had been back pointed or torched. We had a firm trun it over and felt it as it was letting water in left right and centre. All seemed well and we sold the house. We then built an extension on the newer 1930's house and found a retired 73 yr old roofer to do the slates, he really knew his stuff, even telling where the slates came from which I checked with the supplier. In talking I mentioned our old house and he said he lived down the road from it and remembers seeing the job ! he pointed out that turning them wasn't the thing to do as the newly exposed surface will now start to break up in strata and the stresses in the stones may cause them now to crack. They should have been cleaned off and replaced the same way around. He also said that the felt will reduce the ventilation to the roof timbers compared to the original installation and that properly laid stone roofs didn't need felting. Anyway, 7 yrs later the roof still appears to be ok when we drive past but I did get the impression he knew his roofs. His other gripe was that there weren't aprentices these days and his knowledge will die with him.

Reply to
Pete Cross

Sounds like the beast that my Dad did hire many moons ago to clean out the loft in his house. No sarking, no insulation and 50+ years of grime laying the best part of 1/4" thick over the ceiling joists and lath/plaster ceilings.

Did the job very well, emptied the canister two or three times (appox

2' dia and 2' high). This thing would pick up bricks given the chance one had to be careful not to knock to many bits of plaster holding the ceiling up off.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sir

I just had my slate roof re-done, if you live in the right part of the world (north wales) there are some really good young roofers, who know their stuff.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper