Off topic. Windows XP home: small problem

Hello all.

I went to a Windows XP news group with my problem, but got no answers. Not one. This group has some nasty trolls, who are very distracting and disrupting in that news group. Anyway, I hope that someone here can help. Windows XP is able to ask you, when you have finished a task, "if you want to turn the modem off" (or words to that effect), or continue. As I'm absent-minded, I found this very useful. Now, I find that I'm forgetting to turn the modem off occasionally; which is annoying and is costing me money. This reminder has been available on and off, but I have no idea how to install it (make it available) on a permanent basis. Any ideas? I really miss it.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Can remeber where exactly?,but look at modem properties? there is a routine that says...*disconnect if idle for more than X amount of time,this being a manual setting for the time that the mouse is idle when in the browser.

DU, jesus! ain't it about time you moved to BB and live a little. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

oops! that should be *Can't remember*

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Our trolls are distracting in that group? Wow drivel's reach is awsome even after death....

Right click on My Network Places and select properties (or run Network Connections app from control panel)

Right click on the entry for your ISP dialup and select properties

Select the Options tab

Set the "Idle time before hanging up" to a value other than "Never"

(note however that XP is very "net happy" and will tend to make connections all over the place for no apparent reason, so it can take longer you might expect for a link to truly become idle))

Reply to
John Rumm

I've tried that, before and today. 10 mins. before. and 1 minute today. The connection is terminated after 1 minute approx., with no message. I _used_ to get a message giving a countdown in seconds. So, that's not the solution I require.

??? Can you please explain.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

They're worse than he is.

I tried this before, but this just cuts off the connection. I want the message which comes up everytime _I finish a task_.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE