"Manners maketh man" A short tale.

Hello all.
I again went to Maplin; in Parkway, NW London, today. Walking along Camden Road, I noticed that one of 2 Asian female teenagers was brushing against everyone as she passed by. Now, Camden Road has wide pavements and there weren't all that many people there at the time. I was annoyed at that lack of good manners. I managed to catch up with them, and remonstrated with them (I did ask if they spoke English). They just looked at me, and said nothing. And they then went on their way. Camden Road has a large Sainsbury's, and I went in to buy a few things. On the way out, I decided to sit down as my legs were aching. There are only 2 seats there (too few). One seat was occupied by a young boy, and the other one had a middle-aged African woman's shopping bags on it. As she made no attempt to move them, I asked her to do so. She replied "In a minute". I asked her to move them at once. There followed an angry exchange of words with that person trying to "browbeat" me. Unfortunately for her, that never works with me. In the meantime, the young boy had vacated his seat; for which I thanked him. The woman went on her way still talking angrily. In Camden Road station, a young Black man was sitting in the sheltered area, and had 2 parcels on the seat next to him. As soon as he saw me approach, he removed these parcels, which allowed me to sit down.
End of tale.
Sylvain.
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

The moral being what: women are bloody rude to you but blokes aren't?
David
Lobster wrote:

the moral being you can't tar everybody with the same brush

There is no moral, but your reply is a more understanding one than Lobster's. Please read my reply to him.
Sylvain.

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I don't get it...uk.-d-i-y? Was it the bit at the start about Maplin?
AL

Sorry about that. I should have stated that it was off topic (I usually do). There are 2 good things about this group in my opinion: the quite large number of helpful well-informed people, and the the number of interesting off-topic messages. I apologise if you don't find my own off-topic messages interesting. I do _try_ to answer DIY questions if I can.
Sylvain.

Al M wrote: <DR Drivvels type drivvel snipped>

It wasn't about making seats for the public to use or advocating carrying around your own personal chair.
It must therefore have been a post about making men. Or one of them at least.
It explains why women took umbrage. I wouldn't fancy the OP applying his version of a diy sex change on me too neither.

If you are going to go to the trouble of posting a message here, can you please ensure that it can be understood by the average person. I can't make any sense out of it. If you're being ironical (which I think you are), please make it a little more obvious and understandable. Otherwise, you're wasting your time and mine.
Sylvain.

This is only a 2-hour experience, so your remarks don't apply in this case. However, since their emancipation, women have become more assertive and _ruder_. They are also less considerate and courteous. How old are you? If you're still relatively young, I won't expect you to know or understand what I'm talking about (the _general_ difference between today's women, and yesterday's women ).

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:31:51 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"

It's because they're metric - as opposed to the older, imperial woman. However, I believe you can get an adapter....
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

I was being serious. Never mind, I did send that message as I was interested in the group members' comments; which include yours, of course.
Sylvain.

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 00:10:12 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"

<snip>
Yep, it shows. It also explains a great deal.
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Do you have to talk in riddles? I spoke frankly; please do the same. Or are you just trying to "sound clever"? It probably explains more about you than myself. Why are people such hypocrites!
Sylvain.

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
<SNIP>
These damn foreigners - nothing but trouble - send 'em all back home - to Holland.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Do I detect a veiled insult, here. :) For your info: I was born in Paris in 1935. I lived in France until I was 12-13 years old. Came to Britain in 1947, and attended a Secondary Modern school until the age of 15. I did my National Service in the British army (R.E.M.E) in 1954-1956. My father was a Sergeant in the British army (Pioneer Corps) during WWII, where he spent several years of his life. He became a naturalised citizen of the UK, and I am a registered citizen of the UK. Which means that we were/are British by CHOICE, and not by ACCIDENT. How's that? P.S. Yes, I know that the name is Dutch; but many of us are "mongrels", aren't we?
Sylvain.

Your Dad left you in occupied France and joined the Pioneers? The foreign nationals were mainly in the Pioneers.

I _was_ in occupied France, and he _was_ in the Pioneers. These are facts.

That's correct.
P.S. My mother died when I was 4 years old, and I spent all my childhood years in orphanages.
Sylvain.

Liberation must have been fun.

I lived mostly in the countryside, and luckily was not directly affected by war events. So Liberation meant nothing to me. I do remember the fact that the Germans had rounded up all the young men in the neighbourhood. That as petrol was unavailable; cars, lorries and coaches had been converted to run on gas (made by heating and/or burning wood logs). You were aware of this, as a large burner was fitted at the front of cars; and on the side of lorries and coaches. The sacks of wood logs carried by these vehicles were usually clearly visible. I remember seeing the deep ruts made by tank tracks on the roads during a hot summer. Also a lot of cordite (used in cannon shells, I believe) could be found, which we used to light up. In another place, I heard about the massacre of a whole village's inhabitants (Oradour-sur-Glane). The houses were all burnt down with the people still inside them. Their bodies' fat covered the ground outside. This is what I heard at the time; I didn't see it.
Sylvain.
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:12:28 GMT, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

It's one of the saddest features of parts of Brittany that there are villages with a stone (often a fountain) which list almost every person in the village with a simple message "killed by the Germans".