A fence tale.

Fence at the end of the garden fell down. Not during high winds, of which we've had plenty, so not quite sure why. Was replaced perhaps 20 years ago. Quick glance showed the posts which had broken to be a bit rotten where they went into the ground. Posts are on the neighbour's side. Panels still OK.

About half a dozen or so of the garden fences on this street back on to the side of the very large garden on the next street. So to make that side more uniform. he'd added a fence on his side - just posts with a trellis at the top, above all our fences, and self supporting. But the posts for those would make fixing mine a bit more tricky. And a few days after mine, his trellis which was above mine collapsed too. All very odd.

Neighbour said he'd got someone coming round to fix his, so asked him to ask for a quote for mine two, as it would make sense to do them at the same time. All I wanted was new posts - the panels being fit for quite a few more years.

On Friday last, neighbour phoned up with the quote. £350. Over £100 per post. ;-)

Said that was too much, and I'd make my own arrangements.

When I got up this morning, work had started and my fence removed. All done from his side.

Went out to talk to the workman - just one of them. Very nice east European by the accent - but excellent English. And asked him how much it was going to cost. £100, he said. And was finished by noon.

My guestimate for the job was £150. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought this was a DIY group? Shudda marked it OT

Reply to
harry