A DIYers tale.

Shortly after we moved into our last house I was running a network cable into the den. Up into loft from Box room (where the phone socket and router were installed), across loft, down through build in bedroom cupboard, lift already loose floorboard (bonus), drill hole in ceiling, poke cable through hole.

I then went downstairs to pull it through leaving my son to guide it. No sign of cable or hole!!!!

Decided the chimney breast I'd drilled down next to may be stepped so drilled a hole up from den. Went upstairs looked under lifted plank.

No second hole!!!

WTF!!!

Much poking around through both holes didn't help until I brought a 2 inch hole saw into play, cut 2 inch hole through ceiling from above.

I can now see there is a second ceiling about two inches below the original. Argghhhhh!!!

That house was always very quiet between floors:-)

Happy Christmas to you all.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Ah being a bodger several Christmasses ago I got fed up with the now you see it now you don't wifi, so went upstairs into the airing cupboard and shoved a long screwdriver through the downstairs ceiling plasterboard. Went downstairs and taped the network cable to the screwdriver blade and pulled it up. Its still there to this day. I managed to miss the coving too. I must have been lucky that day. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have suffered the same 'now you see it, now you don't' to a front bedroom window IP camera, watching the front. Very annoying and no easy discrete route to get a cable to it, from the router in the loft, so for years I have put up with it.

Until last week. Cam is mounted inside, under the top surface of the window frame. I ran a cable behind vertical blind track, to the side where curtains would hide it and its LV power cable, down to the floor, under edge of carpet, into my 'office' small bedroom, all the way round the carpet edge, then up in the corner through the ceiling to the loft and the router, where a LAN cable already ran. I have left it part finished for now, but working fine.

A very long way around, but it avoided making a hole in the bedroom ceiling, a bedroom which has just been decorated.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Is that the red rose of Lancaster or the white rose of York?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Its a poor version of a white rose :/

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Don't know its in black and white. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff