O/T Gardening query

Hi all, I hope a gardening question is ok here? I have just taken over a small 18ft by 6ft raised garden at the front of my housing association flat. There is a front sloping wall at the front of it, and my aim was to have ground cover plants along at least the front of it, if they spread all the way back that would be fine. I have put pot grown plants in to hopefully have them quicker established!

They are 5 Cotoneaster horizontalis and 3 Pyracantha Saphyr Cadange.

As I wish them to be ground cover not bush type can I somehow pin the growing stems down to encourage ground coverage and to go over the edge of the wall, to stop children wanting to walk along the wall, which is in front of my window and drives my dog into a barking fit when they do. Thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick

Fairly sure that cotoneaster at least only grows along the ground and up walls.

Pyracantha is a bitch. Trim it. It will take over. No one in their right mind will try and walk on pyracantha - its the most vicious shrub in the armoury - worse even than blackthorn with is Queen of Evil in the native species.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cotoneaster horizontalis will spread horizontally but will also happily move upwards if it hits a bank or a wall. On the flat it will eventually reach about a metre high. For dense ground cover plant about half a metre apart (eventual spread is 1.5 metres). You can pin branches down and they will root where they touch the soil in time.

Take the pyracantha back. The variety you have bought will grow upwards to about 8 feet within a few years. It will develop thorns up to an inch long which will penetrate even tough gardening gloves (which will be fun when you need to prune it (and in time you will need to prune it). It is a plant to train as a specimen shrub in the open or to climb up a tall fence or wall. If you are planting it, as it sounds, next to a public walkway you may find yourself on the receiving end of some very nasty letters or worse. If nothing else, you won't need to shut the curtains in a few years as you won't be able to see out of the window!

Cheers, Jake ======================================= Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Reply to
The Original Jake

I've got three pyracanthas and I have to say they're the best value in the garden. They will take whatever shape you want and need half an hour's pruning per year. Birds love them, and there's something to look at all year round. I'm also a great fan of cotoneaster. Easily managed and a very dense cover. I've seen wood pigeons eating the berries this year (first time ever). Don't tell me that means a harsh winter :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

I'll agree about pyracanthas. I have removed all bar one (they got too big even with annual pruning) but the one left is a real star, now about 10 feet tall and providing berries and shelter fopr the birds and security for me as well as the "visual entertainment".

But the OP wants ground cover and ground cover pyracantha is definitely not!

Cheers, Jake ======================================= Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Reply to
The Original Jake

It means a hard winter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wish you all success. You might try sending the OP to uk.rec.gardening. Some very knowledgeable and friendly folk there. It is also one of the remaining well attended ng's. Much like this. HTH, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 00:00:19 +0100, "Nick"

Thank you for all the answers, they have helped. And I have now gone to the gardening group as well. Mick.

Reply to
Mick

It means that it was a poor summer so they spent that eating the cabbages that would have been big enough now for them to have a proper feast on.

Reply to
mogga