Number twos

My partner has a fairly recently fitted loo, with the latest diddy flush. (I forget, it's 7l or something.) I dread taking a dump in it, as 9 times out of 10 the first flush is unsuccessful.

Does anyone know who specified the BS turd that is supposedly used to test these devices ? I'd like to send him/her one of mine as a challenge.

Wouldn't it have been easier to have a dual-flush system, small one for pee and a proper big one for you-know-whats ? That would save much more water than the current pathetic offerings which need multiple flushes as often as not.

[Apologies for the tone. Normal service may be resumed shortly.]
Reply to
John Laird

Many *are* sual flush.... have you tried holding the lever/button down while it flushes?

Reply to
John Rumm

on 06/09/2005, John Laird supposed :

Many of the more modern ones are dual flush, or can be set to dual flush. You remove a seal and it dual flushes. Quick press of the handle then causes short flush, hold it down and you get the full flush.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Captain's Log, stardate 2005-09-06

I would think that that would be the Deputy Prime Minister since his department oversees building regulations.

I'm sure he'd appreciate one of your offerings.

However, AIUI, this requirement is not related to the BS turd, but to the ubiquitous Euroturd.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Heh, I have a similar problem, (not wanting to have a no 2 in my own loo) but for different reasons.

I changed the old (pink, ugh) loo for a nice new cheapy one with a push button flush from B&Q. Unfortunately the back of the loo is shallowly raked, so it's a bit like drawing with crayons.

Top tip diy'ers : choose a loo with a steeply raked back so you can hit the U bend in one shot.

This has been a public service announcement from the "ban the loo brush" brigade.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

In message , Andy Hall wrote

You will never flush a Mandleson.

Reply to
Alan

Oddly enough, our new loo which has a central column flush thingy does it the opposite way round - push the button on top of the lid and keep it pushed for a short flush, or push & let go for a long flush!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I wouldn't have guessed the DPM produces small turds.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

You should worry - we have these (newly fitted) at work. They are supposed to save water but, in the men's toilets at least, everyone has to flush twice, which needs MORE water and more time. Go figure. I too cannot understand why all toilets are not *required* to be dual flush.

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Nope, but what emerges looks like the "standard" volume of water. It just doesn't hit the pan with enough oomph to move the contents round the U-bend, that's all. (The designers probably cut the top off the cistern, and what they should have done was made it narrower.)

Thanks for all responses ;-)

Reply to
John Laird

| My partner has a fairly recently fitted loo, with the latest diddy flush. | (I forget, it's 7l or something.) I dread taking a dump in it, as 9 times | out of 10 the first flush is unsuccessful. | | Does anyone know who specified the BS turd that is supposedly used to test | these devices ? I'd like to send him/her one of mine as a challenge. | | Wouldn't it have been easier to have a dual-flush system, small one for pee | and a proper big one for you-know-whats ? That would save much more water | than the current pathetic offerings which need multiple flushes as often as | not.

Eat more fruit and vegetables, which gives softer turds. Boxed UHT Orange juice, is just as good, a liter a day gives you the runs. Oranges was the standard nanny's cure for childhood constipation in Edwardian/Victorian times

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Go figure. I too cannot

Don't give the ODPM ideas :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ooops. I left the word "new" out before "toilets" and came over more draconian than intended ;o)

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Hmmm, yes will second that.... BTSTDIGTT

Although the spacing is beter suited to the ankle biters!

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you tried holding down the handle to the completion of the flush? I am not referring to the King of Spades, BTW. ;-) See below.

No, but the thing certainly exists. Perhaps I should change my reading matter to Barbara Cartland and Harold Robbins.

They have existed for years, since at least the late '70s. Short lever-down for number 1, long for number 2. Typically deliver one gallon per excretion number. Is this where you are getting the job wrong?

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

i i i i i i i i i i Don't beam me up now, Scotty, I'm having a shi

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 Guidance Document relating to Schedule 1: Fluid Categories and Schedule 2: Requirements For Water Fittings [See Regulation 4(3)] SECTION 9

Schedule 2: Paragraph 25: WC's, flushing devices and urinals

d. no flushing device installed for use with a WC pan shall give a single flush exceeding 6 litres;

g. a flushing cistern designed to give flushes of different volumes-

  1. shall have a readily discernible method of actuating the flush of different volumes; and 2. shall have instructions, clearly and permanently marked on the cistern or displayed nearby, for operating it to obtain the different volumes of flush;
Reply to
DJC

Cheapy push button flush from Homebase has dual flush and would work fine except that the U bend is so tightly curved and so small that any decent sized log just gets stuck half way round.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

We had one fitted a year ago and it is button operated "dual flush" pressing the middle of the button gives a small flush whilst pressing down the big button gives a full flush, looks a bit like :-

removes virtually everything, there is the odd occasion where we have to flush twice but we had that with the old system. Bring back the old high level cisterns that held 3 gallons (mind you I am in Scotland so water conservation is not a biggy).

Reply to
soup

So it wasn't just me then - glad I moved house not long after fitting it! I was getting fed up trying to batter them to pieces using the loo brush (and having to buy a replacement loo brush every fortnight!)

Mine wasn't helped by the fact the plumber had to fit a 90' pipe on the straight out on the back, and chose the narrowest one available.

Reply to
Alan