Double trap syphonic loo

Our bathroom has had a double trap syphonic loo for many years and now it's time to re-fit the bathroom.

We've always apperciated the fact that it's very quiet in operation and that it clears waste at the first attempt every time. We often notice that when visiting other houses, modern loos don't always succeed in properly emtying first time, or even after a second flush.

Naturally we would prefer to replace it with a similar one, but our local bathroom centre told me that they use too much water and are no longer allowed in the UK.

Is this true ?

is there any way of finding out before you install it, just how efficient a particular loo might be at clearing waste ?

Reply to
Roly

Well, they're still made... try a Google for manufacturers.

Not thai I know of...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Pretty much so, the reason modern loos are crap at clearing the crap is that they don't let enough water down. Not sure if it's also a regulation that dual flushes are fitted. This may catch people out, you can't just push 'n go, you need to push 'n hold to get a "full" flush. I can't see what's wrong with "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" certainly within your own home.

I doubt it, personally I'd like to see how well a loo flushes before buying. We have a double trap siphonic loo(*) but the back of the bowl doesn't really get washed.

(*) A lowlevel unit in a nice retro avacado (green) color. Want it?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Can you direct me to a source of useful information about this, please?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Or push and hold for a short flush, depending on the make.

Cos after a day it stinks when someone else goes and churns it up.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:21:56 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Liquorice" wrote this:-

ISTR the history of washdown pan regulations is:

1) dual flush permitted/encouraged 2) better design allows a "small" flush to clear the pan 3) dual flush not permitted, other then as a replacement

AFAIK double and single trap syphonic pans are permitted, provided they use "modern" flush quantities.

Reply to
David Hansen

It's pointless anyway - if the first flush doesn't do the job, one just flushes again (and again) which is less efficient in terms of water use.

Being devil's advocate...

So what happens if your loo is supplied with reprocessed grey water?

Look like it's time to take a course in bronze casting and make me own cistern, the way things are going.

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Obviously I did that as a first course of action, but one of the results suggested that double trap loos were intended for non-uk installations.

I initially believed that my bathroom salesman was misleading me, but the Google results made me wonder if he was right after all. So I hoped that somebody here might now the definitive answer.

Reply to
Roly

Hi Roly, Interested to know how you got on with sourcing double trap syphonic loos all those years ago. In the same boat as you, our Twyford double trap pan (bought 1980) is cracked but just dont like modern alternatives. Such a shame that names like Twyford and Armitage Shanks dont make quality loos any more although they appear to make normal bog standard ones abroad. Many thanks

Reply to
einhorn

Can you call a loo bog standard? Brian

Reply to