Electric & Gas Card Meters

Hello all

We have an annexe attached to our house which we were going to rent out. It doesn't have it's own gas or electricity supply so I was going to ask an electrician / plumber to install card meters. I have heard that card meters are best as the coin meters can be broken into. Does anyone have any experience with these meters or any advice to offer regarding which brand I should go for or where I can buy them from a reputable dealer in the UK? Links would be greatly appreciated.

What should I expect to pay for the meters? What should fitting cost? Do I need to comply with any specific laws or notify any bodies when I fit these?

Any other advice / do's & don'ts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Haymish

Reply to
Haymish

It's been discussed acouple of times recently. One thing is that you are not allowed to charge more than you pay for the leccy.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks MBQ but I have searched via google and can't seem to find posts that relate to my situation. There's plenty of would someone point me in the right duirection or give a brief summary? Many thanks, Haymish

Reply to
Haymish

I assume you mean "which we're going to let".

Is this meter going to be fitted to the gas supply downstream of your meter?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

A while back there were a lot of stolen cards going about. Which meant when the meter came to be read, the amount bought on the official card didn't tally up with the amount put through the meter!! A lot of questions would then have to be answered!!

I'm not sure if this has since been resolved but just so you are aware that the card system isn't full proof.

Reply to
Dontcha

Strikes me as anything above a normal meter is technology for technologies sake. Part of the lease would be to set the rates for gas and electric(*) and the payment interval, on credit or in advance. When a new tenant comes in your read the meters together and record those figures. Then every you do the same and calculate a bill as set out in the terms of the lease.

(*)I find it hard to believe you can't charge more for electricity than you pay. What about any standing charge? I can understand the reasoning to stop the rip off rates of the past (20p/unit touch) but charging 0.5 or 1p/unit more covers your standing charge and costs of supply maintenace etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isn't this selling on a consumers product, which is illegal?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

can charge a proportionate amount of the standing charge but it is illegal to charge more then the maximum resale price for the actual gas or electricity, which is currently the price you buy at.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What exactly do you mean? Which law are you on about?

Reply to
Albert Ross

Yes. Does this make a difference?

Haymish

Reply to
Haymish

We may end up renting the house and the annexe so need a way to bill each party the appropriate amount. The annexe is currently fed from the same supply as the house. We do not have separate meters in the annexe so we can't work out the useage.

Reply to
Haymish

Eh? I thought you where asking about meters for the annex? Bung a meter in the supply to the annex and then it is simple maths:

= -

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You just need a sub-meter for the gas - I'd start by calling your gas supplier, I think Transco fit them (or one of their contractors). I guess its a similar situation for the leccy.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

What is a "consumers product"? No, it's not illegal.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Transco only fit primary meters AFAIK. You can just buy a secondary meter from many plumbers merchants these days. Getting hold of a card meter to use as a secondary meter might be a tricky propositoin. I mean,there is the Quantum system as used by the various gas suppliers but this isnt available over the counter to joe public. Of course you could have a new gas service installed to the property and then request to have a Quantum meter fitted.

tarquinlinbin