Can I attach a washing machine to a sink tap?

I will be moving to a small apartment/bedsit.

There is no plumbing for a washing machine or dishwasher (i.e. for the hoses)

John Lewis sell a very compact Zanussi washing machine and a very compact "table top dishwasher"

Is there an "adapter" that will allow me to connect the hose (i.e. water in pipe) of an appliance (temporarily) to a bathroom sink tap?

Would REALLY appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

There is - however it does depend a bit on what the tap is like.

You may find it just as simple to install a self cutting tap on a available bit of pipework. These are cheap and easy, you don't even have to turn the water off. You will have to leave them when you go since they can't be removed, but at three quid each they should not break the bank and the next tennant may thank you!

For example:

John Rumm

Does your lease permit you to have a washing m/c, dishwasher? Especially one without permanent plumbing. Washing machines in flats are an antisocial menace just for noise nuisance alone, and a liability when the inevitable leak occurs. Be sure you have adequate insurance for when your neighbours sue.

Reply to
DJC

And how is he supposed to do is laundry? excluding the local bendix. Personally I wouldn't even think of renting a bedsit but then again 17 year olds don't really have an option, how sad. Not saying the OP is 17 mind.

I think you'll find no lease, imposes a ban on washing machines,dishwashers,tumbledryers. However its up to the occupant to use them at a sensible time.

Reply to
ben

hmmm... it will be LOUD I suppose. I'll abandon that idea, but i'd still like a compact dishwasher.

My lease doesn't say I can't. And my rent includes electricity bills.

I'm talking about a tiny dishwasher by the way,..

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

John, thanks for the suggestion but this isn't possible.

All pipes are behind tiles. I have one tap (with a cold water knob on one side, and a hot knob on the other side)

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

well said.

anyway, I think i'll settle for a condenser tumble dryer - very slimline from John Lewis, and get a crappy "washing machine" from amazon for =A375 - it's a very crude cheap table top washing machine but it works.

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

go into your local plumbers merchant or B&Q shed and ask, as there are a few different adaptors for this situation because there are a few different taps i.e short stub,square,dual ect.

Reply to
ben

In a word, yes, there is. In fact, you might get away with hose tap adaptors. You can usually find one with the same external thread that washing machine hoses like. Then you can just unscrew the hose when not in use to get your tap back.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi,

Sounds like you need one of these:

two of these:

one of these:

and a _short_ bit of garden hose, so that the connections stay inside/above the sink. Extend the washing machine hose if need be instead of having the above connections outside the sink.

Also most importantly make sure you don't turn both taps on the same time, as it may cause a flood elsewhere if a cold supply from the mains could feed into a hot supply from a tank.

The table top washing machines might be a bit crap, you could end up spending a fortune on drying if they don't spin the clothes. I'd only have one as a backup for when a nearby laundrette is closed.

I was thinking of getting a compact washing machine, Candy Aquamatic

1000T:

I have a Zanussi DCE 5655 dishwasher which is quite good and worth a look.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C