Nonsensical policy on B&Q website

I was going to order something on the B&Q website but when I tried to checkout as a guest it said my email address had been registered previously and asked for my password, which I couldn't remember. A password reset request didn't work and the damned website wouldn't let me checkout as a guest because I had previously registered - bl**dy madness. I ordered the item I wanted from Amazon for the same price with next day delivery.

Reply to
nothanks

Having control of your own domain is handy at times like that, you can setup a forward instruction so that snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.com forwards to your real email, and use that instead :-)

Yup, that is another option!

Reply to
John Rumm

Most websites will do this, though normally the password reset works.

Worth having more than one email address. If you have an Android phone (and presumably iOS also) you must have one of their email addresses.

I also have a Hotmail address that's so old that it predates the MS takeover, and is just my name, no digits. Unfortunately when your main domain has problems, it's no good trying to use any MS email address to discuss anything technical with the DNS host, as MS blacklist you for a day for being naughty enough to include a domain name in an email.

Reply to
Joe

Sounds like cobblers to me. I have sent thousands of emails using a hotmail.com address that include domain names, weblinks, email addresses etc. and they have never been blocked or I have been blacklisted by MS.

Reply to
mm0fmf

clearing cookies, or using incognito mode would probably get around that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, B & Q

They don't allow "special" characters in the passwords BUT when resetting a password they will accept anything you type in without question but then reject it when you try and log in with a message that just says " password/user not recognised" if it contains one of the (unpublished) characters that are not allowed.

Reply to
alan_m

Its not just that site, I wanted to do a survey on a council web site but I could not recall the password, All attempts to do a reset of the password failed, no confirmation emails etc. Seems that more stringent testing is often needed on web sites

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

CPC have a similar problem, it took me quite a while to fathom out what was going on when I gave a password with special characters in it. I now have just numbers and letters in my CPC password. (They may of course have fixed this now, it was quite a few years ago that I hit the problem)

Reply to
Chris Green

Earlier this year I needed to change ownership of a domain, which had to go through ICANN. DNS to the domain was disabled, and I was sent a message by email to confirm something to get it enabled again. I had given a contact email address on a different domain, so that trap didn't catch me, but the different domain also used my mail server and hence the MX record of the disabled domain...

I tried sorting this out using my Hotmail address, but without success as my email to my domain host bounced and I got a message that I had been blacklisted for a day due to content. I tried again next day (just over 24 hours later), with exactly the same result. So I dug into the DNS records of my alternate domain and set up another A record and changed the MX to point to it, and got email for that domain working, and sorted things out. It would have been rather quicker had the Hotmail address worked. And the Hotmail address does work for sending test emails without controversial content, which is what I usually use it for. But I do only use it a few times a year, which MS may have taken into account.

Reply to
Joe

Its nonsensical to require customers to "register" simply so as to purchase relatively low value items using a secure payment method to be delivered to a designated delivery address, in the first place

Unless they're offering tangible benefits by way of discounts to customers who volunteer to be bombarded with their endless offers

A person using credit cards stolen from gyms has apparently bought thousands of pounds worth of gear in the Apple Store in Regents Street OTC; so B&Q are worried they might then go on to use the card to but a few packet of screwss online be delivered to the cardholders address but to be intercepted on the way

In the past anyway, the B&Q site was rubbish to start with. And if you could eventually find what you were looking for, you'd inevitably find the price could always almost be beaten elsewhere. By Toolstation, Screwfix, Amazon, or Ebay sellers if already signed up; or simply one of the numerous online sellers who don't require you to jump through hoops before they'll grant you the privilege of being able to buy things from them - some maybe offering Paypal.

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

wanted from Amazon for the same price with next day delivery.

+1 for most things

You can not trust the web indication of stock levels in their stores.

The last large item I ordered from them was one of those plastic garden tool sheds (large box with doors and lid). For once they were approx 30% cheaper than I could find elsewhere (incl. delivery)

I tend to only use B&Q for the odd bag of sand, cement or plaster as it's the nearest shed and factoring in the cost of petrol cheaper than more distance sheds for low value purchases.

Both Screwfix and Toolsatan are next door to each other and closer than B&Q.

Reply to
alan_m

Well just one of them couldn't be next door to the other could it?! :-)

(That 'Both' is redundant)

Reply to
Chris Green

Just so long as he didn't forget his PIN number when it came to paying.

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

:-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I doubt it because the problem arose after entering an email address

Reply to
nothanks

I wasn't talking about the apparent deadlock of them saying an account using your email addr is already registered v.s. you saying a password reset never arrives.

I was talking about the idea you can't checkout as guest because it knows you have an account. That can't rely on the account since apparently you're locked out of it, so it must be cookies (or other local storage) remembering you've tried to login but failed, and you have something in a guest trolley.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Would clearing one's B&Q cookies be a solution, then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

During checkout as a guest the website (as most do!) requires an email address, but it then moans that the address has been registered ... that's the nub of the problem. 'tis not related to cookies. Using a new email address would, clearly, have worked around the problem but it was easier to buy elsewhere. I'd only meant this as a quick moan and hadn't expected the responses.

Reply to
nothanks

so give them a different address ... get a disposable one if you don't have your own domain

Andy Burns