Noisy central heating pump?

I am planning to install a Grundfos Alpha+ 15/60 variable speed pump in a cupboard in my bedroom.

The pump is used to carry hot water (at 2.9 cubic metres per hour max.) from a low loss heater to the heating circuits in my house and will be on pretty much all the time.

Can anyone tell me how noisy this pump is? My only experience is with shower pumps which seem to be very noisy. I'm worried that the Grundfos pump might keep me awake at night.

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
martinpalmer8

It depends on the individual but I wouldn't have a pump in my bedroom cupboard at all because I'm a very light sleeper. They all make some noise. That transmitted through copper pipes seems to be the worst. The CH type of pump though is much quieter than a shower pump.

Reply to
OldBill

if its not installed yet, mount it to the wall on rubber, connect to the pipes with flexible hoses, and lag the pipes to reduce vibration. If theres a problem.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I installed an Alpha about a year ago. When the pump first turns on it will run flat-out and will probably be noisier than your existing pump. Within 5 or 10 mins it will slow down until it reaches a point where the pressure drop across the pump reaches a certain value which is controlled by the rotary pot mounted on the side. I have mine set to mid scale. The pump cannot be heard at all, even when you are close and are listening hard. (this of course assumes there is no air in the pump - that would make quite a racket).

IMHO because of the nature of the pump operation, for minimum noise it needs to operate continuously, the room temperatures being controlled by TRV's on all the rads. If you fit it in a conventional system where the pump is controlled by a room 'stat I believe it will be a lot noisier in operation as it will be running flat out everytime the stat switches on, and will never have time to settle.

In my particular set-up (I no longer have a single controlling stat, just a timer in circuit with the pump) I am extremely pleased with the quietness, and the general heating efficiency of the whole system now seems much improved.

HTH

Quiche

Reply to
Quiche Mash 'n' Mushy

Thanks, Quiche.

In my set up, the pump will be on almost all the time as I have weather compensated boiler flow. It seems as though the pump won't cause me a problem in the bedroom cupboard if I mount it rubber washers.

Cheers to you and to everybody for their advice.

Reply to
martinpalmer8

If you're using copper pipe how it's connected to that might make a difference too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)