No Comprende extractor ducting

I am currently in the process of having a kitchen fitted by a couple o

very good Polish builders who speak very little English.I recentl purchased a conventional Extractor and the builders have said it would be fa better to remove the air outside plus there is already a large vent hole wher it will be positioned. I rang the company where i bought the extractor Kitchen and they said I would need 2metres of ducting tube/2 Jubilee clips/ through wall tube + a non return valve. When i described this 2 m builders they looked at said no you just need a pipe from the extracto to the outside?

any takers on what both parties are on about ?

I no nothing about this -hel

-- Devon

Reply to
Devon

What exactly do you mean by a "conventional extractor" - are you talking about a cooker hood or an extractor fan that you'd mount vertically directly at a hole in a glass pane or a wall?

Knowing that info would greatly help with offering some advice!

-- David

Reply to
Lobster

They're both right, it sort of depends if you want to do the job or to do it properly. The pipe is called ducting and your kitchen company probably sell it in

2 metre lengths. It can be rigid or flexible. You'll need to fix it to the fan and the outlet so you'll probably want 2 jubilee clips or you could just use some gaffer tape. A non-return (or flap) valve isn't essential but it will stop outside air being blown in when the wind's in the wrong direction. You'll probably also want an outlet grill as a bare ended pipe isn't very pretty and is a bit of an invitation to the local wildlife.

Try QVS on Coldhams Road. Not only have they got all this stuff cheaply but their catalogue has got pictures. Come to think of it their catalogue is online too at

Calvin

Grill with flaps to keep the wind out.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Opps, sorry I forgot I was in uk.d-i-y and not cam.misc ! QVS are still online but they are only on Coldhams Road if you happen to be in Cambridge.

Reply to
Calvin

Your builder probable needs one bit of 110 mm (4'') diameter pipe for through the wall. If the extractor has an outlet point directly on the rear, then the pipe fits through the wall, and extractor sits over it. Viola, done.

You'll need a grille on the outside with a fly (insect) screen on it, but that's not to do anything else but keep the flying / crawling bugs out your house. If the extractor maker says you need a one way flap in the system, then all you need is a grille that has gravity dropping flaps on it to stop the wind blowing back up the pipe.

Go with your builder on this, as the extractor company only want more money from you.

Reply to
BigWallop