Nitromors Artex remover... any good?

Hi I'm currently wrestling with a housefull of &^%£$"^&)ing Artex; spent most of yesterday up a ladder with a steam stripper. It's weird; much of it came away really easily (barely any need for steam); but then suddenly I'd hit large patches where it seemed to be welded on. Even at plasterboard-disintegrating levels of steaming, it wouldn't come off; just sort of melted to a slightly gooey, tar-like consistency.

I've seen tins of Nitromors textured paint remover at 17 quid a pop down at Buy and Queue. Does anyone know if this stuff is any good; will it work in the above scenario? Is it likely to be a cost/time-effective solution, or will I be better ripping the ceilings down and starting out from scratch with new plasterboard?

I've already condemned a couple of ceilings as they are in such a bad state; but the really annoying thing about my current room is that under the artex is a beautifully smooth, professionally skimmed plasterboard ceiling. Why oh why oh why....??

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's a generational thing. My mother can't see anything wrong with Artex or woodchip paper. It adds texture to an otherwise austere flat surface...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My house is covered in bloody wood chip its the bain of my life!

You could give Peel Away a go, I've used it for normal paint stripping and its bloody good!

Reply to
Kerry Hoskin

et al in the product description... not sure I'd risk trying it out at

94 quid a pot!

Any fans of Nitromors Artex remover out there?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Used it a few years ago. Slow, messy and works out ridiculously expensive. Gave up after a couple of square metres and got it skimmed. This was on solid plaster base so I'd guess it'll be worse with plasterboard as the base.

But maybe I was unlucky - perhaps, under laboratory conditions, it works well!

Mike

Reply to
mike

In message , Lobster writes

I'm a fan of leaving it there and getting a plasterer in to skim it over :-)

It does a pretty good job, though the finish on our other ceilings where we overboard with plasterboard and then had that skimmed is better.

Reply to
chris French

It wouldn't work in my house. The woodchip is the only thing keeping the plaster on the wall. I managed to chase out the plaster for a cable run using my finger. I think a replaster is the only way to go. I'm going to practice on my kitchen chimney (which will be hidden behind the fire surround and shelving). Then I'll freak out and hire a plasterer when I can afford it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Decided to take the plunge with the Nitromors stuff, and have just slapped a load on my ceiling; it's supposed to take 3-8 hrs to penetrate so we'll see how it goes.

However - while cleaning up I spotted a bit of small print on the tin

- "Does not work with plaster or cementitous based products". Oh hell I thought; I haven't a clue what mine is made of. The product is actually called "Nitromors Textured Paint Remover". How do you tell whether the white crap covering your ceiling is based on paint or plaster/cement?

Fingers well and truly crossed!

David

Reply to
Lobster