newbie cooker Q

Hi, first post, please be gentle. I have a gas hob and electric fan oven improbperly installed and want to know the chepest option to get a proper set up. The options are to get the current set up corrected or to purchase a stand alone gas cooker and sell the oven and hob. a) To correct : The hob is connected by a hose and this would have to be replaced by a fixed pipe, the oven is far too deep for the work surface and protrudes by a few inches (with the hose running behind it) - so I'm assuming some wood work would have to be done in order to make it OK. Is it OK for it to prodtrude like this ? Gas and electrical points are on the back wall down low. hob has electric ignitition and this I guess would have to go to the same point as the cooker. b) To replace : buy a free standing gas cooker and sell the other two. DIY the installation. I'm just concerned about the routing of the hose - is there a recess in the back of these cookers to allow them to be pushed against the wall over the supply bayonet socket or is this likely to be a problem aswell ? Is the installation of a free standing cooker generally a strait forward task or are there often complications. I live in a housing assocation property in wales and contractors will often 'rig' it so that what would normally be strait forward becomes more complicated in order to generate more work. Any advice on the best way to go grately appreciated. Cheers. Bruce.
---
On 17/10/2010 11:27, anern wrote:

Hi, and welcome!

Check the hob instructions - while its true most should be hard piped, some don't forbid use of a proper cooker hose arrangement.

Well it looks ugly obviously - whether it is actually unsafe or not would depend on if its properly fixed in place. You don't want it tilting out the front of the enclosure when you put a weight on the open door.

It can do, although does not have to.

Free standing cookers usually do have space to accommodate the hose. A point worth noting is that even if they come with the hose fitting included, it most likely won't be attached to the cooker. Hence to fit one requires a level of competence that includes not only making and testing a gas tight joint to the hose, but also fitting appropriate anti tile precautions to the cooker, and assessing that the room volume and ventilation are adequate for the power of cooker (since its a flue less device).

See above - fairly straight forward, but not usually as simple as just plugging the hose into the bayonet connection.

I presume you need permission from the owners as well before making changes like this?
--
Cheers,

John.

It may be that the owners should be providing a gas safety certificate. It is up to the OP to find that out. It would at least prove that the existing installation is safe.
--
Adam