Newbie: BNC->RCA and cable types

Hi all,

I am in the middle of setting up a CCTV system in my home, and have a few questions about cable runs etc.

1) What cable is best to use to carry the composite video signal? Maximum run is maybe 20 meters. The cheapy cameras I bought have RCA connectors, but I suspect RG59 coax would be a better choice then straight twin core? Is this correct. I will be running maybe 4 or 5 wires next to each other down a single run, and probably a 12v 2A DC line too. Is this going to cause interferance problems?

2) My capture card uses BNC connections which is fine for coax, but as I say, the cameras use RCA. Can I stick an RCA plug on the end of RG59 coax? Will it fit? Which way around do I need to connect the core/sheath?

Thanks, Lister

Reply to
listerofsmeg

RCA plugs are designed to take shielded cable. It would take considerable ingenuity to connect one other than core to pin, shield to body I think :-)

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Over that distance, a decent coax.

If all the video signals are in coax then you should not have any problems.

If you get a phono plug that is designed to be fitted to coax then it is pretty straight forward. e.g.

screen of the coax terminates at the gland on the back of the plug.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to use 100' runs of RG-59u between my cameras and switcher. The cameras had RCA plugs. It was not problem at all putting them on the coax. All it takes is some minimal skill with a soldering iron.

Reply to
PTRAVEL