What are the differences between different crimper/compression tools?

I am looking to get some tools to make my coax cables. For the most part it will be regular cable feed with F connectors. But I might also use BNC connectors for other things down the road so I want to get something more than a "disposable" tool.

After some research I think the best place to get one is on Ebay to get a better quality yet used ones. But I am surprised these tools have such a variation in price - from $12.95 to $250 and above and I can't tell the difference?

Also some of the tools are described as "compression crimp tool". I thought there are two kinds - those you crimp (compresses the metal to bite into the wire all around - usually results in a hex shape connector) or those you compress (which compresses the connector lengthwise) no?

Someone suggested Snap-N-Seal connectors to me, are those special connectors? Will those require a special tool to install?

What about strippers? Is it better to buy a separate stripper or go for those tools that have the crimp/compress/strip all in one piece?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

For example, what is the difference between this:

which is $19.95

versus this:

which is $39.95

versus this:

which is $89.95?

Does anyone has a special stripper and compression tool to recommend if I would like to spend less than $75.00 total for both?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I prefer compression tools, your description as the hex variety. Squeezing the cable is not a good idea or practice. Sure someone who does it every days has the "touch" I do not do it every day.

Your references are from tools that would be for a hobbyist to production work. Your spec was for F connectors, look for a tool that has changeable heads. They are out there. I do not know why you would even want to consider bnc's connectors. I have had lots of problems with them in the past. Quit using same cause of the problems.

I like the ratchet crimpers, they tend to give consistent crimps every time. More so over the other kind.

Your budget and amount of the crimps would be my guide. Try to find a store so you can get hands on for something that you like. Then look for the price on the web. The Jensen store is just a half mile from me.

Reply to
SQLit

For F connectors, the difference is the type, RG-59, RG-6, and if outside sealed types, etc. I use a crimper that is all metal that has two size holes in a HEX pattern that will crimp both regular RJ-59 and RJ-6 types. I think I bought a Radio Shack several years ago for about $25 then. Can find at some electrical/electronic supply places, seem some at a few of the home improvement centers.

BNC connectors widely vary between manufacturers and crimp types. Usually there is a specific tool for most BNC type crimp connectors. Each manufacturer having their own tool to match.

I have only used BNC connectors with 50 ohm coax cables for electronic instrumentation. F connectors are usually used on TV cable rated at 75 ohm.

Reply to
MC