new water heater wont ignite.....

I just installed a new water heater. It is a kenmore power miser

12...so it isnt a cheap one. I bought it from sears yesterday and spent the better part of last night and this morning hooking it up. Everything went well. I filled it and hooked up my gas lines. I try to iginte the pilot and it wont light. I thought there must be air in the lines but my home furnace (which sits right next to the water heater), kitchen stove, dryer all work fine. I have a union right near where the gas goes into the water heater with a shut off just above it. I loosened this a bit and turned the gas on and the gas is flowing because i could smell it. I tightend the union back down and still no go. I turn the knob to piolt and hit the igniter like crazy and nothing. I cant tell if gas is getting through to the burner because i dont smell any gas. I cant really tell if the igniter is sparking either but i would assume so. THis thing is brand new.

I didnt purchase the installation from sears because they wanted 340 bucks to install it on top of the 415 bucks i just dropped on the water heater. Installation was pretty easy. Everything is already sweated in place and the damn thing is full of water. I dont want to try and get this thing back up the stairs etc to return it.

Any ideas? If i have a bad regulator or somthing sears should come out and check that out correct? I dont want them to say since i installed it that they wont cover there junk or charge me tons of money to fix whatever might be wrong. IM thinking it has to be a faulty part somewhere.

I thought the tough part would be the soldering and the gas etc.....not starting the damn thing.

any ideas? Looks like cold showers for a while.

Reply to
scale

Is the pilot knob the type you have to push in and hold for a minute or so while igniting it?

Reply to
Rastus

I had the same problem when I changed my water heater out recently. My problem WAS air in the gas line. My water heater is not near a source of ignition so I loosened the flex hose next to the regulator until I could smell gas. Scared the whole time. Then I vented the area, paranoid. Then I held the pilot button down (read the directions closely) and kept pressing the ignition button. With in 30 seconds I had a pilot light. This was after a dozen or so failed attempts.

I had considered a long match. Construction on my water heater almost prohibits such an action. Guess the manufactures are getting smarter or we the public are getting dumber.

Reply to
SQLit

This just in....

I got it. I bled the lines again and while i was on hold with sears service.......the pilot lit :) It must have gotten scared and thought i was going to return it to the warehouse.

Strange but i used the same technique each time....turn to pilot....hold down...hit igniter and she lit.....

shes heating for the first time now.

Heck i might even get a warm shower before work tomorrow :)

Thanks for the replies...

Reply to
scale