Lighting water heater manually

If electronic light does not work,can I light gas water heater manually

Reply to
Randy Knotts

Probably. If there was no hot water and I wanted to take a shower, I bet I could figure out how to light mine. But without even knowing what kind of WH you have or your skill level, I think it might be dangerous to try to tell you how.

Reply to
trader_4

HUH? Your gas water heater has a pilot light which remains lit and heats when temps fall below the specified setting. If that pilot light blows out, you can relight it with a long lighter or match. If it's still lit, there is no reason to light anything. Therefore, please elaborate on "electronic light".

Reply to
Meanie

Many, probably most new WH now have electronic ignition, not a standing pilot light, just like furnaces, stoves, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Is there any chance you're related to Don?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I thought that's what he meant but wanted elaboration.

Then to answer the OPs question...... (which I found)

The only water heaters that use electronic glow igniters are power-vent units. If that's what you have, then no, you can't light that type with a match. The igniter may not even be the problem. You can light a standard gravity flow gas water heater, which are now lit by the same type igniter used to light your gas grill, it's called a piezo igniter. It makes a small spark jump between two electrodes to light the gas from the pilot when you push the button. If the igniter doesn't work you can light the pilot by hand but it will require removing the new sealed chamber door, which can be a daunting task to say the least, and in order for the burner to burn efficiently the door must be then replaced and resealed. ( A lot of work). If you're going to go to all that trouble, you may as well replace the igniter itself while you have it apart.

Reply to
Meanie

I bet I can light many power vent WHs with a long stick match, the same match that you'd use to light a WH with pilot. But one of those butane lighters made for grills, etc works better.

The igniter may not even be the problem. You can light a

That might be a problem on the new WHs. The power vent one I'm familiar with, the burner and igniter are visible, easily accessible.

and in

I think the idea is to get it going so the guy can take a shower, not a long term fix.

Reply to
trader_4

Manyn newer water heaters don't need a match - they have a piexo lighter built in - likely what the OP is referring to as the "electronic lighter"

Reply to
clare

Some of them are no more sealed than the old match-lite units - in which case you CAN easily light them with a match. Usuall 1 philips screw to keep the sliding door in place.

Reply to
clare