New Woodburner Regulations

Fit a water softener first or it's a very expensive mistake.

Reply to
Capitol

After 8 months, I still have a telephone line which doesn't work properly. 300 baud seems optimistic!

Reply to
Capitol

Hence 'A watt kettle never boils'

...I'll get my coat...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except most homes have a dozen or more light bulbs, some may be on for hundreds of hours a month ...

I'm making no such mistake, see where I say "even if"? that's to emphasise that I realise they haven't, but that I'm willing to explore what the maximum saving would be if they did.

Because I am familiar with the vacuum I've had for many years, it has variable power, and for some tasks I use it on max, so whenever it needs replacing, I'd like one that is as effective as this one, the efficiency I care about less.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And that's the whole idea of such regs. To force makers to produce cleaners which are just as effective, but use less power.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And how often does "New! Improved!" work out in practice?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That does assume that it cleans as fast as the more powerful unit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Neither would I. However since I have found some LEDs that out perform their Tungsten equivalents, I am happy to use them.

There is probably a workaround that lets you buy a dust collector with more power anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

My Bosch GAS25 vac doesn't need 2kW to do its job and its somewhat better than most 2kW cylinder vacs you could buy a year or two ago.

I bought a Miele 2kW vac in the clearance sales just before the "ban" and I seldom run that above minimum and that is all of 600W. Anymore than that and it starts lifting the carpets.

You really don't need 2kW to power a domestic vac despite what the brexiteers claim.

If its a factory you are cleaning you can still buy a 2kW vac, probably not at currys though.

Reply to
dennis

like erm, Jeremy Corbyn

Reply to
critcher

ROFLMAO!

Nice one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We bought a new Dyson when the old one fails.

The colour was NOT a selling point. It's hideous. But it's light (SWMBO is little) and it works.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That's unusual. All te Die-sons I have come across didnt work. Well that's why I came across them I suppose.

I now understand why they are popular. You can see the dust. You can tell when they are full and they do the virtue signalling bit by visibly filling up before your eyes.

Of course being bagless the filters clog up with fine dust in weeks.

Then they stop working.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dob't worry. It's just Our Dave shit-stirring again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You must be what the Yanks call a dumpster-diver. (dumpster -> skip)

Why d'ye want to recover broken Dysons? You suffering from Dave-fixation syndrome?

The dust ends up in the thingy. That's what it's for.

No, they are popular because they work. On ours, I clean the filters about every six months, but only because SWMBO insists, not because they need it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The other change I think is quite likely is the removal of the exception from smoke control areas for wood-burning stoves in places like London, possibly as soon as October. That will mean no more buring of wood in them, and will be retrospective. This is easily enacted just by reducing or emptying the list of stove models which are exempt from smokeless fuel regs and doesn't need any legislative changes.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nope. I have friends with them.

ROFLMAO! Maybe in your spotless clinical house, but not out here in the country.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel posted

Changes to building regulations do not usually affect existing installations. Why do think this one will, and for that matter what is your source for this information?

Reply to
Handsome Jack

We *are* out in the country. Big field of wheat behind and to one side, even bigger field of rape across the road.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not changes to building regs - it's changes to an exemption list under the smoke control act. Smoke control regs are retrospective (or they would not work), and modifying the exemption list (which is what allows wood burners in smoke-free areas at the moment) requires no legislative changes at all.

The reason these are coming under fire is that they were granted an exception if the manufacturer claimed they emitted below a certain level of PM2.5 soot. It's now been shown that these manufacturer claims are miles off reality, and many (if not all) are emitting way above the permitted levels to have got on to the exemption list. At the beginning of the year, GLA was looking to get wood burners retested and the list updated accordingly, to stop their use in London (although it would change everywhere, as the list is not London-specific). The other pressure on this is a very rapid rise in new deployments of wood burners in last few years, particularly in areas of highest premature death rates from polution such as Barnett.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel