New type of wrench

,

Water pump pliers don't always grip, I found that 'Footprint' wrenches will grip like a Stillson does. I will add this though, what I was using them for was a certain job many years ago, I would normally use either water pump pliers or a Stillson wrench - all I'm saying is that they do have their uses.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Despite who prompted that enquiry, I must say that I doubt I could have built the compressed air system in my factories without a couple of Stilson wrenches; one to hold the threaded steel pipe and the other to hold the coupling or joint.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Agreed: footprints, stillsons and similar self-gripping wrenches are the only things to use for screwed iron.

Reply to
John Stumbles

What do you think a pipe wrench is for?

Reply to
Rob Morley

And chews up the nut. Use the right tool for the right job.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

He doesn't know these sort of things.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Definitely. Such as a pipe cutter for plastic pipe for example....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pipe cutters are not used on plastic pipe.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Well.... according to all the manufacturers of plastic pipe they are, but then of course you know better than they.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pipe snippers are used on plastic pipe, as a quick method cutting. Other methods return the same result, as with copper, pipe cutters can be used, or a saw and file, to obtain the same result. Isn't clever eh. Many ways of doing the same thing.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Well, yes. But the IMM freak was talking about only using a Footprint wrench for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt a footprint type tool would have gripped under those conditions. Because it requires pressure on the handles at all times - unlike a Stillson.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pipe in this day and age refers to copper, on at least this group. I'd rather it was called tube. But the IMM wanker will use it for any tube capable of carrying anything - from plastic through to iron barrel.

YMMV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The manufacturers call them pipe cutters and specify them in their instructions, disallowing other methods. The reason is to produce a clean, square cut.

I suppose that's true if you consider water pissing out on the floor and water not pissing out on the floor as the same result.

Now I understand why you believe that J++ practices what he preaches. You see both as the same thing.

You're right there. It isn't clever.

Mmmmm.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

No they don't, do a Google on Hepworths post.

It is clear you don't know about this sort of thing.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

.. all pipe is of copper this man has declared .. of plastic, brass, iron, he has never heard .. the wrong tools are used, to put the pipe so .. which inviariable fail and drip H2O .. with H2O pouring out of the door .. the water board people said we'll have no more .. they cut off his water and said you're a fool .. because he didn't use the appropriate tool .. his work it was clear was a great big show stopper .. because he thought all pipe was of all made of copper

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

That's an interesting notion, did you read it somewhere or just make it up yourself?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I see. Clearly there's Scotch mist around

Mmmmm.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

other to

Footprint

Dave, just because you haven't found a use for the tool please don't assume that there isn't at least one use, they do work and as their over all width is thinner than Stilson wrenches there ARE a few situations were a 'Footprint' wrench works better - coupled to the fact that they can be forced to grip the pipe using one hand [1], something you might like to consider when you are 20 ft up a ladder with nothing but engineering brick solid steel below...

[1] the teeth on the jaws also tend to 'bite' better than water pump pliers.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

life.

Sorry Dave, but IMO you are frantically trying to dig your way out, trouble is you only seem to be digging deeper....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::