New TV Moderately OT:-)

If The toppy does not have an hdmi connector then it is not an HD stb.

Reply to
Andrew

They don't. They make their profit on the goods themselves. Visit your local R-S and ask them how many people bother to come back and reclaim the cost of their warranty. Guildford store claims 2 to 3 people per week do so. Their warranty is not underwritten by any insurance company, if the goods fail outside the manufacturers warranty they they just replace the item.

Reply to
Andrew

They are made in Britain.

Adrian Caspersz

Just had a quick look through the manual for the 5810 - its a generation or so on from my 5800. It has HDMI, and claims to output up to 1080i. The only bit that is not clear is if the tuners are DVB-T or DVB-T2. You would need the latter to record the HD TV channels (e.g. Logical Channel

101, rather than 1 for BBC1).

So in summary, yes it will connect and work. It will be no worse than it was in the past, and likely somewhat better. It might also do real HD record and playback, or it might be upscaled SD.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why would you want to? SD channels on Freeview display the same size as HD. And I'd rather they didn't alter an original 4:3 prog to 16:9. It generally looks awful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can do HD over components. But I've never seen an HD Toppy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You would need to be quick with the selector for office use:-)

Oh well! I suppose I can fall asleep in front of anything:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That may well be the case...

Personally I could not be arsed to play that game, so rolled my own.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the humax out of the box are probably better than stock toppy of old. However as soon as you add MyStuff etc to toppy it gets much better.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

The 6810 has hdmi output and claims to support video resolution from 576 to 1080. On a small screen, would one notice?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

The lounge Panasonic has several size options.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, that was quite useful. Modern TVs seem to have only one tuner, and Panasonic have gone the other way even more. My new Panny doesn't even have a "swap" button on the remote, so you can't easily move between two channels (unless they are next to each other and you use the channel up/down button). Fortunately, I kept the remote from the previous Panny, and that /does/ have a swap button. And the new TV responds to it, fortunately. Note that the back/return button on the new remote does /not/ swap between the current and previous channel.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You can, but the HDCP consortium leaned on the manufacturers not to make such an output available on PVRs (and BluRay etc), because it makes copying in HD too easily possible

Reply to
Mark Carver

So was my Hazro IPS monitor. Bought in 2008 primarily for photographic use, but for many years it was just plugged into my Humax HD FOX stb for watching tv for many hours a day.

Still works fine, though I can now see some faint brownish bands when a grey background is showing. Could be the backlight tubes starting to fail. After 12 years I have had my moneys worth out of it. It's back as my main computer monitor, which I am using now.

Reply to
Andrew

thought the rule was never to call you william, Bill.

Reply to
critcher

I can certainly tell HD from SD on my 32" 'kitchen' telly on freeview

Whatever res. that is..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All my TVs follow broadcast standard correctly. If te flm is 4.3 thats what you see and the adverts are all 16x9 and shown correctly too.

Only thing that doesn't is VLC - it stays where the first program puts it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can for sure by an HDTV PC dongle and record off that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 to both. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

ISTR that one has to claim the premium at the end of the period.

Reply to
PeterC