super new tv

that super new 40 inch smart fire alexa tv has just fecked up big time...hope curry's is open tomorrow ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Not your super new JVC shirley ?.

Reply to
Andrew

In what way?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Did you give the side of the set a whack ?

Did you play with the horizontal hold knob ?

Did you take the vacuum toobs to the drugstore and test them ? That's what we used to do here. The drug store had a toob tester. I was the toob tester guy at home. You probably need a new 12AX7 in there.

*******

Check your set for a reset button or hole where an unfurled paperclip fits.

It could have applied a firmware update to itself, depending on what you've hooked to it. Most computing devices have a boot loader, that can recover from a firmware update failure. Only PC computers in the past, violated the rules on how to do that, which is why PCs would brick. Modern digital devices should have successfully working recovery modes.

See user manual (even if user manual is useless).

If you have the model number handy, post it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I bought a Panasonic from Currys. It worked fine except when plugged into Ethernet, and trying to access films over the network, after a few seconds it would switch itself off.

It worked fine on an aerial. Yeah, beat me too. I conjecture the PSU was marginal when using lots a CPU power

Tech droid didn?t have Ethernet or films, couldn't reproduce the effect.

I said 'I wouldn't drive 25 miles to get exactly the same replacement TV if there weren't summat wrong with it'.

I got a replacement and its still working fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These things tend to be made with subassemblies, and the power supply board could be tested before the unit is put together. Whether they do this, who can say. There have been LCD monitors, really cheap ones, with high dropout rates. Suggesting they're just screwed together and the customer tests them.

Some DIMMs seem to have come to market, without ever being powered up, as a capacitor on the DIMM would burn due to a short. It could of course, fail, after being dropped, having received rough handling, received a "stab wound" in the shipping box. But I prefer to believe there are people making hardware who never power it up and just put it in the packaging.

That's one of the "advantages" of enthusiast hardware. If it needs to be sorted for speed, at least it's being powered up and tested.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

some years ago, when I was designing power amplification equipment, a design I was working on just stopped working. IO hadn't sorted anything, it wasn't running at huge power and nothing went up in smoke. Testing revealed that a power transistor had developed a base-emitter short. A failure mode that is almost unheard of.

I hacksawed the top of the can off out of sheer curiosity. Sometimes you can see flaw in the silicon. What I found was that the bond wire to the base part of the chip, had been welded so far off alignment that once hot, it expanded and touched the emitter...and the subsequent tiny spark had been enough to bridge it with a whisker of metal...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Give us a clue? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

If a device is going to go wrong the firs 3 months is the most likely time. Then you get a period of some years with no issues, after that things go downhill again as components age and software updates are no longer provided. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Hmm, well, it is hard to say, but I'd just swap it, Most modern gear is pretty reliable. I guess the one you got might be a customer return which has been fixed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Yes, the "bath-tub curve."

SteveW