New toys = A&E overflow at new year?

A friend of mine had to go to the local hospital on New Years Day, and he had a four hour wait, and apparently only a skeleton staff were on but it seemed that most people coming in were the victims of DIY, many with new toys which they had for Christmas. You know drilling through the finger, etc, and falls on objects left on the floor by children and or adults. Maybe they should plan for a boosted staff presence over this period as it seems there is no limit to the stupid things people will do over the holidays. I'm surprised the elf and safety mob have not put warnings out on the media, as apparently it happens every year. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I see a number of GPs are recommending a £10 charge. It might encourage a few to by a First Aid kit but I doubt it.

Reply to
Andy Cap

It would help if people didn't treat it as a drive in GP service. They get bored at home and think it might be more interesting sitting in A&E. Maybe there's a bigger tele too

As for GP appointments, I can usually drop in without an appointment providing I'm prepared to see ANY doctor in the practice. And IME the doctor you've never heard of is invariably thorough and competent.

Had a shock though when Dr. Patel turned out to be a super model in a mini skirt. I won't reveal the nature of my complaint but let's just say on that occasion I'd have preferred a bloke or an older woman!

Reply to
stuart noble

On Friday 03 January 2014 12:48 stuart noble wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oddly, the reverse bothers me more - but having a joke afterwards by "I now sympathise with what pregnant women go through" seems to break the ice.

I too was weirded today - saw a bloody big Tesco 40-tonner lorry coming around the roundabout today. Looked up metally expecting to the see the bloke from the Yorkie bar ad.

Nope, *very* fit slim blond girl in a white vest driving- must have been about 25. Made a pleasant change :->

Reply to
Tim Watts

On BBC radio Essex a spokesman for the NHS were proud to report that set up a tent in Chelmsford on new years eve in order to treat those who had one too many and relive the pressure on A&E. 30 staff treated 20 customers!

Reply to
alan

There's a National Express coach service twixt Northampton and Gatwick. Most of the drivers are fat, middle-aged blokes but one is about 25 - 30, slim and good-looking. I was waiting for a local bus where NE stops when the coach pu;;ed up. There was a gratifying amount of luggage to be stowed in the low hold...!

Reply to
PeterC

Lucky you. Nothing that nice happened to me today

Reply to
stuart noble

And hopefully plenty of time to get the camera out?

Reply to
stuart noble

London Ambulance Service (working with St John Ambulance) ran 13 treatment centres in central London, treated 438 patients and took 88 to hospital.

600 emergency calls an hour at its peak, a total of 2,588 emergency calls between midnight and 5am when normally they?d only respond to around 180 an hour.

My daughter is very glad she wasn't on shift :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No waht will happen is that people will assume they can fix anything and there will be a big scandal when somebody loses a limb or dies. Actually apparently the most common time for diy injuries seems to be around Easter time for some reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, I'd not consider sitting in a/e better than being at home. i had to do it in august, and itys boring with the odd influx of very urgent cases rushed straight in.

I don't think people are taking advantage, but I do feel that more first aid skills should be taught to everyone so they can recognise a serious problem when they have one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

st of the drivers are fat, middle-aged blokes but one is about 25 - 30, sli m and good-looking. I was waiting for a local bus where NE stops when the c oach pu;;ed up. There was a gratifying amount of luggage to be stowed in th e low hold...! --Peter./>

Er you bat for the "other" team then?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

No camera - just a telephoto.

Reply to
PeterC

um, did I miss out a detail in my narrative...? ;-)

Reply to
PeterC

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dunno's if thats a good idea seeing the over a bit of time your own Doc will know what your history is and perhaps how to "interpret" quite what's wrong with you;)..

Tho sometimes and in some instances a second opinion isn't a bad thing....

Reply to
tony sayer

"female" ?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

On 03 Jan 2014, "Brian Gaff" grunted in news:la6ae8$10c$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Heh. I still have a scar on my thigh, courtesy of the modelling knife which I found in my Xmas stocking at the age of 11 or 12, and managed to stab myself with while sitting in bed trying to work out how to remove the end. I never owned up, owing to the embarrassment of being such a pillock!

Reply to
Lobster

My most recent injury was from a pair of sharp office scissors, incurred when I got too excited trying to unpack a new toy (Nexus 7).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think they must freeze the inner box and heat the outer sleeve on those before inserting the former into the latter ...

Reply to
Andy Burns