new mains drill

On 29/06/2013 00:24, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

It is also a time when lack of cords is very welcome.
--
Rod

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:32:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

At current count I have four non-SDS mains drills - 2 x110V, 2 x240V; only one of them is ever used and that's got a permanently-affixed Axminster angle drive on it. Just not needed, the rest of them. I wouldn't throw them out though, because some day, I will need one of them. The two Hitachi 110V ones are tough old things and just out of interest I'm keeping them around.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 02:14:32 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
It's all I use for mains. I do have non-SDS mains drills, but they're never used. Now you'll get some saying there's too much slop for precision drilling, but for the vast majority of normal tasks a chuck adaptor is fine.

If you have an ordinary mains drill and an SDS with ordinary chuck both equally accessible, why would you choose to use the SDS for an ordinary drilling task? My SDS is both longer and heavier than the normal mains drill - which also has a key less chuck.
--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

My SDS chuck is keyless.
My SDS is quieter, more powerful, and more controllable than my last mains drill. Though I agree it is heavier and longer. Obviously that would depend on precise models of each type.
--
Rod

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 00:23:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Why should I choose to carry a bog-standard drill around when it's dead weight 99.999% of the time?

I'm talking DIY. Which would normally be on your own premises.
--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

I appreciate the OP has already solved his problem, but if anyone really needs a high torque mains drill, I thoroughly recommend the mixer/drill from DeWalt:
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-d21520-13mm-mixer-and-rotary-drill-240v-p3925?gclid=CPK744uVi7gCFUfLtAodEVcAQw
I bought this needing to do lots of large diameter holes in timber, and after finding my Bosch SDS was frequently limited by the safety clutch. The DeWalt does of course require a very firm grip and a little caution.